Nail Polish Remover on Table

This article is an archived discussion from 2009.

Question:

Does anyone know how to get nail varnish remover out of an oak veneer table?

Susie from UK

Answers:

May and Ashes

My parents had gone out to dinner and sitting at my dad's beloved finished wood computer desk, I was removing my nail polish. Accidentally, the nail polish remover was knocked over, onto the mouse, onto my cell phone, onto the mouse pad and most importantly the desk. I quickly grabbed a roll of paper towels and wiped off the remover from the desk.

Note: Dab it up, because wiping it spreads the stain and removes MORE of the finish. After getting most of it up, I wet down some paper towels and cleaned it off the best I could. Like the other responses say, I slathered mayo all over the desk. My parents got home and I explained what happened. The mayo I used was low fat.

We decided the fat was what helped so we added olive oil and, like the other responses said, ashes (from the fireplace). We mixed it all up on top of the stain and left it for about an hour. After wiping up the mayo-olive oil-fireplace ash mixture, the desk looked much better. Less noticeable, but not gone.

By Unlucky

Iron and Paper Towel

Use an iron over a paper towel for 10 seconds and it will be gone from your wooden table! Mayo did not work for, me but this did.

By relieved29