Naïve Spring Bird Greeting Card
For the past few years I have been making my own cards for different occasions. Homemade cards are much more personal, and it shows some extra love towards the recipient.
I needed a few greetings cards, so I had to come up with an idea that would be easy, but would still look beautiful.
This is a great card to make for spring. It can be used as either a birthday card or a greeting card.
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- A4 sheet of ordinary printer
- 8.2 x 6.1 in pink cardstock
- oil pastels
- uni-ball eye fine black pen
- food coloring: red and blue
- glue stick
- standard scissors
- two plastic bowls
- Free Spring Bird Template
- Draw a 5.4" x 3.7" pencil frame on the paper. Using the pencil, draw a bird sitting on a branch, surrounded by a few small flowers and leaves, in the frame. Use the black pen and ruler to draw over the frame's pencil lines, and then draw over the design's pencil lines. Allow to dry and gently erase any remaining pencil lines. Note: Alternatively, you can print out a copy of the provided design found in the supply list.
- Use the oil pastels to color the bird. Color the wing in a different color than the body.
- Color the branch, flowers and leaves, again using the oil pastels.
- Add blue food coloring to one bowl. In the second, mix blue and red food coloring, so that you will have purple food coloring. Dilute the blue and purple food coloring with water ~ the amount of water used will have an effect of the depth of color you will see when painting. Then, apply the food colorings to the piece of paper with the bird, allowing the colors to interflow. Allow to dry thoroughly before cutting out the design. Note: You can paint over the areas colored with the oil pastels.
- Score the 8.2" x 6.1" pink cardstock to create a card sized 6.1" x 4.1". With the fold at the top, centre and glue the bird design to the front of the card. Tip: Add glue to all areas of the paper to glue it down completely, and to help stretch the paper again.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!