New Dog Aggressive Towards Resident Dog

We recently re-homed a 3 year old Boxer dog. We already have a Lab bitch which we've had since a puppy. She's now 4. The Boxer apparently was bullied at his previous home. The initial meet on neutral ground was perfect, lots of playing and sharing toys. Within 20 minutes of getting them both home he started being aggressive towards her. Snapping at her when she walked past, not letting her have any toys, charging at her for no reason.

We thought he's probably confused and scared so gave him a few days to settle, but he now seems to be guarding us from her. He is not letting her in a room with us, or wanting us to give her any attention. We are using a crate for time out which I don't like, but seems the only safe solution for her. My fear is the children could be in the way 1 day. My Lab is so placid it's pathetic some times so she's not helping by running away from him. I'm not sure if he would bite her if we let it escalate, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take. It's fine for him to be top dog between them as I'm definitely the alpha, but I don't want my Lab being scared in her own home. Any advice appreciated

I would get a professional trainer. You dog needs behavioral therapy. It may not be a good idea to keep him with young children around.

We have considered a professional but wanted to see if we can solve it ourselves first. He responds to basic commands such as no and leave so we're using these when we see his behaviour change around her.

I can't leave them alone together at the moment but wanted to give him a chance as he's such a lovely dog in character and affection. My fear is he will be passed around if we send him back to the rescue

I understand how this must make you feel. You clearly care for both dogs. The boxer sounds like he may be better off as the only dog. Some dogs just come with that personality. You can certainly try professional training with him. I do think that trying to do it yourself may be a mistake. The possessiveness he is showing can be unpredictable and in some cases dangerous. He sounds like he would be a wonderful dog for someone without other pets. Perhaps you could work with the rescue so they understand his particular personality quirk. They he can be in a situation where he can really shine, and you can be comfortable with your dog and the grandkids.