New Life for an Old Cabinet

Category Refinishing
New Life for Old Cabinet - decorative items put back
Using your imagination, some paint and doilies, you can turn an old end table or small cabinet into a cute decorative piece. This is a page about a new life for an old cabinet.

I had this little cabinet next to my living room chair for a while. Then I went to a friend's house and saw that she had a similar little one in her bathroom. I was inspired! And then I went to work.

Total Time: 3 Hours

New Life for Old Cabinet - full view

• 1 cabinet ($5.00)
  • 2 artist's brushes ($.25)
  • 2 foam brushes ($.20)
  • 2 paint and paint tubs ($.50)
  • scissors
  • hot glue
  • 4 mini doilies ($2.00)
  • 1 scrap lace valance
  • dresser scarf from my great grandmother
New Life for Old Cabinet - plastic tub and paints

1. The first thing I did was clean it. When that was done and I let it dry overnight, then I painted the first coat.
  2. New Life for Old Cabinet - cabinet prior to painting
  3. Now you need to know that all I had to work with was ceramic/artist paints. And the first night, I didn't have the foam brushes so this really was a labor of love. I don't recommend it. Make quick work of your project with the right tools.
  4. New Life for Old Cabinet - first coat of paint
  5. I mixed the green and the cream and some white to make a unique color just for my bathroom decor. Luckily I had the amounts I needed as it was all I had of the white. I didn't care if the inside was darker so I went with what I had.
  6. New Life for Old Cabinet - mixing paint
  7. With the foam brushes, it was much faster and easier and the paint lasted just to the end of the project. I don't think I had enough to cover a Q-tip.
  8. New Life for Old Cabinet - painted green - partial view of the interior
  9. I let it sit overnight and today finished the inside. I mixed some more green and cream for the interior and had just enough for the sides and the back. So it was a toss up as to what to do with the bottom. Paint it, use scrap booking paper? Lace? Well, the lace won out. I had to custom cut it, but I think it turned out nice.
  10. New Life for Old Cabinet - decorative items put back
  11. I put my pretties back up and used a spot of hot glue to put the mini doilies on the door. All in all, for about 10.00 and a few hours of time, I think it came out pretty cool. N-JOY!
  12. Advertisement

Might...AWESOME IDEA.....

I like the original better.

Some will. But this was a battered and beaten old thing. I think it might have been a humidor since I have discovered a hole in the center of the bottom. Might have been for a spinning something anyway.

It looks great! You did a good job.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingFebruary 24, 2019
🎃
🌻
🎂