RefinishingFurniture

New Life for Old Cabinet

contest winner icon
I had this little cabinet next to my living room chair for a while. Then I went to a friend's house and saw that she had a similar little one in her bathroom. I was inspired! And then I went to work.

Total Time: 3 Hours

1. The first thing I did was clean it. When that was done and I let it dry overnight, then I painted the first coat.
  2. Now you need to know that all I had to work with was ceramic/artist paints. And the first night, I didn't have the foam brushes so this really was a labor of love. I don't recommend it. Make quick work of your project with the right tools.
  3. I mixed the green and the cream and some white to make a unique color just for my bathroom decor. Luckily I had the amounts I needed as it was all I had of the white. I didn't care if the inside was darker so I went with what I had.
  4. With the foam brushes, it was much faster and easier and the paint lasted just to the end of the project. I don't think I had enough to cover a Q-tip.
  5. I let it sit overnight and today finished the inside. I mixed some more green and cream for the interior and had just enough for the sides and the back. So it was a toss up as to what to do with the bottom. Paint it, use scrap booking paper? Lace? Well, the lace won out. I had to custom cut it, but I think it turned out nice.
  6. I put my pretties back up and used a spot of hot glue to put the mini doilies on the door. All in all, for about 10.00 and a few hours of time, I think it came out pretty cool. N-JOY!
  7. Ad

Might...AWESOME IDEA.....

I like the original better.

Some will. But this was a battered and beaten old thing. I think it might have been a humidor since I have discovered a hole in the center of the bottom. Might have been for a spinning something anyway.

It looks great! You did a good job.

Sure looks clean and neat to me..
Nice dark wood looks great in some places but when it is

"past its prime" then sprucing up brings new life and puts a smile on your face.
So - I say Sandi did a great job and others could benefit from seeing how nice it looks.

Anonymous

Thanks! I do love re-making things that have seen better day. I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Thanks everyone! I won 50.00 for this and as always, it's appreciated not only for the money. I like hearing from people who like what I do. Makes it all worth the effort.

I just love this!! I never thought of the green and pink together for furniture. I have always loved doilies ... perfect!