Old Kitchen Cabinets Leave Odor on Dishes

I moved into an old house and I washed my cabinets out and lined the shelf and add the dishes. When I get out a bowl or cup it smells like old wood. I can't stand to drink from a cup. What can I do? Thank you.

By Darla

Best Answer

Try putting down stick on laminate tiles. I used the cheap ones with a glossy finish. They might block the smell from coming through and they're very easy to clean.

Best Answer

There's something you can get at Staples called "Air Sponge." It's just a canister. You remove the lid and put it in the cabinet and it helps remove the odor.

You might try it. I like the idea of the laminate tiles, but they might not work unless you deodorize a bit first. Good luck.

Did you try putting a container of baking soda in the cabinets? If you can, maybe you can wash inside cabinets with a baking soda and water solution to see if that helps. Good luck.
Terri

I have not tried this, but I've heard that bowls of charcoal briquettes (unused) helps eliminate odors. It's worth a try.

How long do I leave them in my drawer