CatsPets

Older Cat Chases and Attacks New Kitten

We have an 8 year old female cat and brought home a 3 month old male kitten. We put the kitten in a separate room to start out. I rubbed each with a rag to get the scent and place the kitten's rag in my cat's favorite spot and the same with the cat's rag for the kitten. After a week we let the older cat see the kitten for a few seconds and continually increased the exposure. The kitten is very respectful of our older cat, but now she hunts him down and bats him a bunch of times with her front paws. We are afraid she will hurt the kitten. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

It's harder for an older animal to adapt to a new addition to tne family. I would give it a few more weeks. If things don't improve, the kitten may have to find a new home.

Normally it is a good idea to bring home an animal of the opposite sex like you have done. Your first cat is feeling like you don't love her anymore because there is a new cat in your home. I would suggest paying a lot of attention to your first cat. Give her extra love and praise all the time. When she is mean to the baby cat, pick him up and say "oh my poor baby, are you OK". Tell your other cat, he is only a baby and it isn't nice to hit him.

Have you ever seen several kittens playing? They get pretty serious at times. This is just their way. It will go on for a while until they figure each other out. I wouldn't worry about it. This is normal behavior.