Kitten Trying to Nurse on Older Cat

Category Cats
Sometimes weaned kittens will try to nurse on older cats, including males. This is a guide about kitten trying to nurse on older cat.

My kitten is is trying to nurse on my older cat, is that okay? How do I get her to stop?

By Alicia from Quincy

Answers

Give her some of the following:

• 1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk
  • 1 Tbsp. real mayonnaise
  • 2 tsp. karo syrup white
  • 2 drops infant vitamins
  • 1/2 tsp oil, cooking oil (like olive oil)

Mix this up and feed it to the kitten. I have raised many kittens on this formula. It is easy on their stomach. Racer

It is the natual instinct of a kitten to nurse on an older female cat. Why try to stop it. The older cat will or the kitten will stop in time.

it is absolutely common for an older cat to adopt an orphaned kitten;mine have done it.The kitten is getting more than milk; it is being nurtured.Don't try to stop it.

I'm not sure that anyone actually dealt with your particular problem. Is your kitten still of nursing age? Is the older cat a female, and giving milk, or just irritated? The "normal" reason for kittens to try to nurse from other cats, and nearly anything they can get their mouth around, is that they were taken away from the mother, or orphaned, before they were ready. It seems dogs can be weaned just fine at 6 weeks, for the most part, but kittens seem to take a bit longer. Usually, with patience, they will grow out of it, but the need seems to be there for comfort, as it is with all little creatures. Try giving it, after it eats, a play toy that it can be distracted with. Hope all works well.

Anonymous

Leave the kitty and older cat to follow their natural instincts and don't worry about it because they know what they're doing :-)

Don't worry about it, it is perfectly natural. The kitten will stop on her own as she outgrows the desire to nurse.

I had a one year old cat and a kitten who fought like crazy. I kept them separate for quite a while. Then finally I let them together. They stopped fighting and the kitten began sucking on the older cat. Nothing ever came out but they both seemed fine with it and I thought it was sweet. The kitten eventually grew out if it.

I have a male kitten that is about 16 weeks old and in the past few days he has began attempting to nurse my female cat. He had never tried this before. I've had him and his brother since they were 8 weeks old, but now every time I turn around he is connected to her belly. She is going through a heat, idk if that has triggered something in him or what. She is roughly 8-10 months old.

Answers

It is normal for your cat to try to nurse another cat.
It is a comfort thing to your cat.As long as the two get a long together.

I don't think you have any thing to worry about.

It is a comfort sort of thing.

If both are perfectly content, then just leave it alone unless it bothers you.

The kitten will out grow needing to "nurse"

Only separate them if the get aggressive.

Nursing may just be a temporary thing but most likely the older cat will let the small one know when she is tired of it.

• Your older cat of 8-10 months old should be spayed soon and that would create a time for the kitten to stop the nursing.
  • There is probably no harm in the nursing and is just a "comfort" thing to the kitten and both cats will try of it after a period of time.

There is a product called Bitter Apple. It is a spray and costa about $4 for a bottle. Take a little bit of this Bitter Apple and with a cotton ball swab it on the cats tits. It is bitter and the kitten will stay away and it will break the habit.

You did not mention if the cats are spayed and neutered. If not they are old enough to have kittens.

I have a two year old female cat that is not fixed and I recently have gotten two kittens. They are trying to nurse on her and she's allowing them to. Is this normal? They're not 8 weeks yet. Any suggestions?

Answers

It's not uncommon and fine. It's probably a sign that the kittens were taken from their mom a little too early. They will stop doing it eventually and it's likely a good thing that they are bonding.

A kitten can nurse up to 10 weeks

Their nursing will stimulate lactation. So they are probably getting milk from her. I had a dog that would nurse kittens even after they were full grown.

I recently live trapped two baby kittens that the mother brought into my basement. They're both boys and they're doing quite well. I have two males that were both rescues too. One is fixed the other is not and they're both fostering these baby kittens. They're letting them suckle on them and they lick them all over and letting them sleep with them.

The kittens are 12 weeks of age so it is unusual. I've never seen a male cat let a baby suckle on them. They let the kittens suckle on their legs or wherever they can grab some fur. This is kind of funny. I am just wondering if anybody else has ever gone through something like that and if that's unusual or what?

Answers

Could it be one of your boys is the daddy? I have never see this either and have been a cat person for many decades. It is probably good for the babies, at least they are not fighting.

Can't answer about the male cats but our kitten we found abandoned at 4 weeks would suckle our male St. B's titty. He kept the kitten clean and it's bowels working.