One Yard Apron

This is a simple way to make an apron from 1 yard of 45 inch wide fabric. The apron tie becomes a drawstring which you pull through the top of the apron thus gathering it up. The size becomes adjustable. These aprons are fun to make and so easy. They make nice gifts as Mother's Day is coming soon. I've made them for our church fair and they sold quickly.

Approximate Time: less than an hour

• 1 yard of 45 inch wide fabric
  • thread

Instructions:

1. Place fabric on cutting surface with the 45 inch selvage edges facing left and right.
  2. From the very bottom, cut two 4.5x22 inch pieces of fabric for the apron tie. These get stitched together and folded in half lengthwise and stitched along long edge to form one long drawstring tie.
  3. If you want to put pockets on your apron, cut two 9x7 inch pockets from the bottom of the fabric right next to where you cut the ties.
  4. You will have a 45x27 inch piece of fabric left for the body of the apron. Now fold down 3.5 inches from the top to the wrong side and press.
  5. Make a small fold at bottom of the folded piece and stitch.
  6. Now stitch 1 inch from the top of the 3.5 inch fold. This will form the casing for the drawstring.
  7. Advertisement

8. Sew a 2 inch hem at the bottom of the apron. No need to hem the sides, you have a selvage.
  9. When making the pockets, stitch a small hem on top of each pocket and fold down about 2 inches from the top of the pocket, right sides together.
  10. Stitch sides to form hem and then turn hem.
  11. Fold remaining sides of pockets 1/4 inch and press.
  12. Stitch pockets along the edges 6 inches from bottom of apron and 15 inches from the sides.
  13. Place the drawstring tie through the casing and draw up into gathers.

That's all there is too it. You can use contrasting fabric for the tie and pockets and get creative with different fabrics.

Source: I'd like aboutus.com to get credit since they are a good site for lots of info.

By Janet from Long Island, NY

What a nice idea. Thanks for showing us your unique pattern.

This was very nostalgic for me. When I was in eighth grade (1957-1958) this is the very way I made my apron...my first sewing project. Now, I am thinking of making some of these for Christmas gifts this year.
Thanks for reminding me of this.

When I was reading your post, boy, did the memories rush back! This is the very apron that we made in Home Economics in the mid 1960's.

It was the very first thing that we actually sewed. It has been a long time since I thought of those aprons. Thanks for reminding me of learning to sew. Great photographs of your aprons too.

When I was reading your post, boy, did the memories rush back! This is the very apron that we made in Home Economics in the mid 1960's. It was the very first thing that we actually sewed. It has been a long time since I thought of those aprons. Thanks for reminding me of learning to sew. Great photographs of your aprons too.

Anonymous

I went onto aboutus.com, but couldn't find anything that even hinted at a craft. furlegs

This was the first project I ever made in 4H. That was longer ago then I care to remember.

Believe I got a third place ribbon for it at the County Fair.

Crafts Sewing How ToMarch 18, 2009
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/One-Yard-Apron.html