Other Cats Using My Cat Flap

Keeping neighborhood cats out of your house can be a challenge when you have an open door. This is a guide about other cats using my cat flap.

I have a female neutered cat who uses her cat flap regularly, but another cat is coming in and peeing in the kitchen. I have sprayed everywhere with Dettol and with Febreze, but it still comes back. It is now smelling at the door to the hall.

It started with the front door and then the back door, but now it's indoors. I'm frantic to stop this. The smell is awful. I have put a litter tray out for my cat, but she refuses to use it and to be honest, why should she. I have had cats for sixty years and have never experienced this before even with having had two male cats. My first cat (a female) was 22yrs old when she died.

By Margaret R

Answers

I had to give up my cat door as my cat would bring animals in such as rabbits. He would kill them inside the house. I also worried about other animals coming in. If you can see the other cat - throw water on it. Make a lot of noise. Make it unpleasant. Or you could trap it in a humane trap and bring to animal control.

Yikes..what a terrible problem. I feel for you. Could you try blocking the cat door at the times your cat usually is in the house. i would keep the litter box near the door just in case. You could also use a humane trap to catch the "visitor". You might be able to find an owner, or if it is a stray, find a home for it or find a no kill shelter. This is a tough one...I am glad you have all those years of experience. Good luck to you.