Our Throwaway Society

Vote for this contest contender!

It always amazes me how much other people throw away. I did not grow up with much, and I always took very good care of whatever I had, as I knew my parents worked very hard for it. I thought I set an excellent example for my children, until the other day.

I babysat my granddaughter, and saw one of her cardboard peekaboo books in the trash can because some of the pages were ripped. I knew it was one of her favorite books, and I offered to fix it with clear strapping tape. Her parents told me not to bother, and they would buy another one. However, being the frugal person I am, I did fix the book, and my granddaughter is getting just as much pleasure out of it as she did before it got ripped.

It got me thinking how people think it is easier to just get rid of something than to try and fix it. However, making something last longer is not just about saving money. It's about using less of our natural resources, having less garbage to add to our landfills, blessing others who may be able to use that item, and, most importantly, giving our children a feeling of pride in acquiring the skills to maintain items.

Most people would agree with me that it is preferable to compost vegetable scraps or make stock with them than throw them away, but many of us say we don't have time to do that. In my opinion, it takes more time to get in your car or walk to the store, get the item, stand in line to pay, and go home. People who have a mindset to save what is salvageable realize that it often takes less time!

I have learned a lot from the posts on this website. I want to leave this earth in better shape than I found it. So, if you see someone taking a broken item off the curb, it's probably me!

One of your very best!

Thanks, Judy

Great post. I agree. It's too much of a throw away society. I'd like to add, too many people spend money on items they could borrow from the library.

Well said, Judy! One of the things I wish we'd learn from Germany is that each household has a certain weight allotment for trash. Anything over that is taxed fairly heavily. We also seem to have forgotten how many hours go into earning the money we bring home. That calculations applied to - as you say - making vs. buying basic stock might help those of us who claim to be too busy to re-evaluate?

Thanks for the kind words. I know someone who lived in Germany and he said how tiny their garbage cans were.

The garbage was collected every two weeks and the cans werent even full!

My mom was from the Ozark's and they were very poor. My mom used to say "Use it up and wear it out". Being a rabid recycler, I always think "what could I make out of that". So yes Judy, your words ring true.

Anonymous

I was raised by poor grandparents, but I didn't know we were poor until I was in my early teens. I didn't have a 'store bought" dress until I was, probably, 14 years old. Most of my clothing, I believe, was made from other dresses that my great aunt brought to us from southern California. Who knows where she got them. But grandma didn't care where they came from. She could find a use for them. She wasn't wasteful, and she taught me to be frugal.

To this day, I cannot stand to see someone fill their plate to the brim, eat a bit of it, and throw the remainder in the garbage. My family goes to a buffet once-in-awhile, and I would like to stop going with them. Most of them, from my granddaughter (adult) on down through the teenagers waste more food than they eat. It embarrasses me, and I am the "bad person" if I say anything about it. Wake up people. It may not be there forever.

I went to an all you could eat buffet once. There were signs saying, "Take all you want but, eat all you take. This keeps our costs down so we are able to offer you quality food at a lower price"

Anonymous

thank you. I feel the same way . I had very little when growing up and many unpleasant events in my life. I didn't have family to show the way so I decided that I would teach my self.

It was trail and errors but I kept trying. I had so much fun with my "failures" that my children gained from them. This year I will be a tree hugger as my 200 yr. old tree made it. I saved it and very proud.

Anonymous

In my book, toss is a four-letter-word.

Anonymous

Judy, your setting a great example for grand daughter now. Keep doing it ! I fold and save the tissue paper after unwrapping Christmas gifts. My daughters come over often to get tissue for their gift bags. Try saving a couple of paper towels holders for toddlers, they can use them like drum sticks, a horn or look through them.