Painting Metal Cabinets

Category Painting
Preparing the metal surface before applying paint will make a lasting finish. This guide is about painting metal cabinets.

I have kitchen cabinets made by St. Charles from the late 60's. These cabinets are metal painted with a rough finish. The finish is similar to what Orange Peal on walls would look like. I would like to paint them and want to know if anyone has any information for me or hints on how to do this task. Thanks.

Lois

Answers

I would sand all of the gloss off of the cabinets and then spray them with a Rustoleum primer - followed by 2 or 3 coats of Rustoleum spray paint. Be sure to follow the directions on the can. Rustoleum makes so many colors and finishes, you should not have a problem finding the color you want.

You might try appliance paint. We used it to clean up our frig before we put our house on the market. It made the frig look brand new. I got it at Home Depot. Good Luck

I would check at a paint store about what to use to sand them with, as you'll need to knock off the texture. Then you'll need a good metal primer. This goes into general cabinet painting, but might help with the various steps.

http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

I have white enamel cabinets from the 50s that need repainting. I can not remove the doors. What kind of paint will adhere to the old paint. I would like a pearlized white.

By Lana