PaintingHome Improvement

Painting Walls to Cover Nail Polish Stains

I'm painting the walls. My daughter did decorations with nail polish on the wall. I've painted over them with 2 coats of magnolia color, but I still can see the nail polish decorations. By painting more and more coats would that cover it or do I need to do something else?

Get a primer like Kilz or Biz. Then paint over that.

Try rubbing ice cubes on the polish and take a straight edge razor and very carefully scrape the polish off the walls. Then you should be able to repaint over the area.

Anonymous

Thank you for your answer. But my dilemma is that Ive already painted 2 coats of the new color. Would it still work?

Actually, you may have compounded the problem with the paint as even if you use the Kilz as Judy suggested it may not work as well as it would have if used first - before any painting.

You will also have to be careful about what type of sealer you need according to what type of paint you used.

I would suggest you return to the store where you bought your paint (or Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace or True Value Hardware, or a reputable paint store) and explain what you have used and ask for their expert opinion.

They will be able to look at the type of paint you used, what kind of wall you have and hopefully tell you exactly what steps to take.
Otherwise you may just be adding another problem to try and solve.

If a water based primer doesn't work you may need an oil based primer. I think Kilz makes one. Try the water based one first. Putting more of the paint will not work.