Parenting Disrespectful Teens

Category Behavior
Young people sometimes don't realize how they can hurt people with their emotional stance, and need to learn respect. This guide is about parenting disrespectful teens.

I have an almost 16 year old son who misbehaves and is disrespectful. He calls me names and tell me that I'm a liar when I'm clearly speaking the truth. He always takes my daughter's computer and when he is told to give it back he will slam it shut. He seems to always has a problem when I tell him no. What should I do to change his behavior?

By April C

Answers

Who is the boss in your house, you or your son. There must be things of his that you can take away as punishment, like car, car use permission, car keys, any entertainment type things he has in his room, favorite clothes, make him stay home instead of hanging out with friends. If this doesn't help seek counseling for him.

Does he have a computer of his own to use? If not, could you get him one? If so, why is he using his sister's?

Remind him that if he respects you, you will respect him. If he acts disrespectful, let him know that he's being disrespectful and remove a privilege for a day, increasing the degree of loss of privilege each time he continues to be disrespectful. Tell him you love him too much to let him be a brat. At the same time, be sure to compliment and praise good behavior.

He made need counseling.

Contact Dr. Phil or read his books.