Parenting a Special Needs Child

A girl with special needs.
Parenting is an important, often challenging, job. This is even more true when you are parenting a special needs child who will also need you to be their advocate. This is a guide about parenting a special needs child.

Divorce is hard for all involved but the most affected are the children. If you have a child who has a disability, then ask for the appropriate type of child support.

If you have children with disabilities who will not get better, ask for lifetime child support for supplements, doctor's visits, special foods, etc. Lifetime child support means that the judge orders child support for the life of the child. This will mean that when the child reaches the age of 18, the spouse will not cease paying child support.

I have a 21 year old grandson who has been diagnosed with high-functioning Asperger's. He is gifted in electronics, yet can't get through the interview process successfully. This is a source of frustration and depression for him. Can anyone give me a reference to parenting that I might refer to my daughter?

wondernana from Clovis, CA

If there is a community college in your area, call the counseling office and explain that your grandson (her son) needs to learn interview skills, etc. because he has Aspergers.

If they don't have a program, they can let you know who does. You can also call the public school system, and speak with the guidance office for recommendations.

Your grandson needs to practice, and prepare for all possible questions. He may want to consider being up front with his condition or not.

There are many books on interviewing; but he may also need support once he has a job, to learn to get along with other staff appropriately.

The following sites may have some useful info. for you:

http://www.auti  e=life_aspergers

http://www.aspergerssyndrome.org/

Best of luck!

My brother has Aspergers. He is going to be 50 years old.He works at Longs and drives a car. A few years age got testing and counselling from a County organization in Paso Robles/Atascadero,CA. They will find job coaching and even find employers that get money from the government to hire them. On top of that, he is now getting disability from Social Security. The secret there is to be diagnosed as autistic, not Aspergers. If you want more info. I can give it to you. it would have been much easier starting at a young age with him, but it wasn't until my daughter became a special ed teacher that we knew where to start.

Hi, Check out some of the yahoo groups about autism. Some of the parents there can probably help you, or direct you to someone that can help you.

PACER is a program that is used for challenged people in many aspects.

Also your grandson must have had an ISP or IEP done somewhere along the line. Take this to a local tech college and there are stream lined areas for specialists in staff to deal with specialists in students. Been there, done that.

I think I'd try to find a position for him with the government. I know the federal government has to have a certain number of disabled employees on staff. Where I live there is a federal munitions factory as well as a fort where they make electronic components for the federal government. Most of the employees at both places are civilians.

My 3nd choice would be a state or county government position in his field.

Best of luck! I know there is a position for him. You just have to find it. Please dont be discouraged.

My son is 17yrs old and has aspergers syndrome. PLEASE! DO NOT call your grandson disabled. He is probably more intelligent AND ABLE than "normal" people - just has a different perspective of life. Surely, if you explain to the interviewer BEFORE he goes for a job, that he has aspergers which in NO WAY will affect his work performance, then I'm sure ( if they are reasonable people), they will make allowances for him. You MUST explain clearly what the pros and cons are. I've found that if you emphasis the GOOD points of aspergers(of which there are many which are useful to certain jobs) then he has a chance! remember, he is not disabled!

My child has learning disabilities and I need help getting him into a strict routine. Any ideas?

By Lisa from Swanse, Wales, UK

Is your child old enough to help you make the schedule? Make it out on paper first and try it for a few days. If it doesn't agree, change it. If it does, put it on a large poster. I used to draw a picture of a clock with the hands in the position of what time we would be doing that activity. I had a real clock beside it. It was easy to look and see what time it was and what time the next activity should start or end. It worked well. I also used lots of color in it, such as nap and sleeping times were blue, meals and snacks were all red..... Also, be sure to have "free times" in there. Free time can be unscheduled play, or a time when you decide what to do during the free time block--such as go for a walk, ride bikes, read a book...