Partially Cook Veggies Beforehand

Before I use many of my vegetables in recipes like pan-fried or oven roasted sides, I will parboil or blanch them. This helps me out in many ways. Precooking will cut down the amount of oil I use altogether by a lot, saving on calories and money. It also decreases the cooking time all around, and time is money. Blanching veggies does a great service visually, as it locks in their beautiful colours. Parboiling also aids in the vegetable's overall texture at the end result, and locks in nutrients. Of course, if you're using a recipe that calls for mini bits of veggies, you do not need to do this. :)

When I was 5-6, I was cooking my own eggs sunny side up because everyone else would break the 'yellow'. That puts me cooking for about 70 years. So, this has got to be a dumb question.

How does precooking allow you to cut down on the amount of oil you use?

(You CAN teach an old dog new tricks).

Take something like cooking eggplant in a pan. If you precook them via steam or microwave first, most of the cooking is done. Add a bit of oil to a pan and get them cooking to get caramelized. If you skip all that and cook and cook and cook in oil from the raw eggplant stage, you will have to keep adding oil until it's caramelized because it's absorbing so much.

Aha!

Thank you.

Always welcome! :)

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsNovember 28, 2018
🐛
📓
🌻
😎