Parvo Transmission Information

I have a 7 week old Lab pup. She's had her first shots. My older Lab is 2 years old. He had parvo when he was around 5 or 6 months old. He survived at the vet. Will this pup have a big chance of getting parvo? What is the life span of parvo in the sun, in your yard?

Best Answer

This type of situation is always a concern because we still do not know everything there is to know about this dreaded virus. Most experts say the virus will be around the yard for about a year and less time in the house so it seems safe. The old lab should be immune but did you ask your vet when your new pup got her first shots? If not, give them a call and ask your question so you will have first hand information. I think they will be able to put your mind at ease but if not, they will tell what steps to take now.

Here is a link (very long article) that explains a lot about this virus and gives time frames so it should be good for you to read.

www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm

Parvo can last up to a year in the yard. If your older dog doesn't have it, your pup won't catch it from him.

PetMD is a great site to find all kinds of answers. I am sharing with you this link and hope that it answers a lot of your questions:

www.petmd.com/.../c_dg_canine_parvovirus_infection...

My dog had Parvo and had to be treated at the vets. At the time he had Parvo I had an older dog in the yard. She did not get Parvo from the younger one.

Two years later I received a new puppy. I took him to the vet immediately and started his shots. The vet told me that the Parvo shot takes up to 48 hours to work. He told me to watch the dog to make sure he was not vomiting, had a fever, or diarrhea.

The new puppy and the other dog I have now never had Parvo, even though one of my dogs had it.

Thanks for the advice so far she is doing good we replaced carpet and floring in the house before we brought her home