Patriotic Drinking Straw Wall Art
Make a cute little 4th of July wreath with some colored straws. This patriotic drinking straw wall art
is sure to be an eye catching decoration for your home this 4th of July.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
I saw something like this on line, but I made my own. I had to improvise because I didn't buy enough of two colors, but I think it came out pretty cute anyway.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 4 Packages patriotic straws ($4.00)
- hot glue gun
- 1 faux burlap ribbon (just used 1/10) ($1.00)
- 1 embellishment ($.25)
- 1 ft scrap yarn
- scrap cardboard
- 1 cottage cheese lid
- 1 oz small amt. of paint
- 1 paint brush
- With a plate, cut out a circular shape from the cardboard, about 1.25" wide around. With the cottage cheese lid, trace and cut an inner circle.
- Using scraps from the lids circular shape, cut some pieces that will give the cardboard some durability. Popsicle sticks work good, too.
- Paint it red, white, or blue.
- At an angle start gluing the straws, making sure they stick out about 1/4" over the inner circle. If you chose three patterns like I did, alternate them and make sure you stick to the pattern.
- Sadly I ran out of the blues and reds and had to finish with the 3 color straws. You will need 2 of each package at least.
- When you get around, decide what kind of large decoration you want to use. You can use dollar tree flowers, a big bow like I did, something you can get cheap you don't have to make?
- I pulled out about 24" of ribbon, brought it back around itself and gathered it up gluing to hold. I couldn't hold it and glue it and shoot it at the same time. Same with the ribbon below it. I glued them and then tied them with some red yarn.
- I then glued the velveteen and faux gem stone on the center and hung it up.
- If you make something like this, use harder cardboard, or two layers glued together. Mine is a bit flimsy, but I didn't want to use a wreath of Styrofoam as the glue would melt it. Live and learn!! N-JOY!
July 3, 20170 found this helpful
Dainty and CUTE!
July 5, 20170 found this helpful
Thanks!! I never thought of it as dainty but I like it!!
July 9, 20170 found this helpful
Very Pretty, Love it !!
July 10, 20170 found this helpful
Thanks!! It is fun to make.