Paying Utility Bills in Australia

Category Paying Bills
Utility companies in different areas bill on various schedules, making it useful to plan ahead and perhaps set up autopay plans for some of them. This is a guide about paying utility bills in Australia.

Once I got my act together and my finances I organised for all my regular bills to be paid by BPAY with the credit union (community bank) account - no charge! This included electricity, gas and telephone. I found out how much I would have to pay fortnightly (every 2 weeks) to keep ahead of my bills. In Australia the utility companies have a service to check the yearly bills and what you have to pay to keep ahead - wow! no more ringing up for extensions on payment.

This is important I feel because most utility companies bill only once a quarter and it is hard to budget for these expenses, putting money away each week/fn/mth. The bonus is that you know if you're ahead and can afford to stop payment for a fortnight or two (like around Christmas) and still be ahead!

When my pay comes in each fortnight, I sit down and note each due payment in the fortnight -eg rent, utilities,union, car loan, te mea te mea, the rest is mine sort of!! how do you budget for teeth emergencies!!

By Sharn from Blue Mountains NSW AUS