Rent Assistance for a Low Income Family

Category Paying Bills
Depending on where you are located, there are programs available that can help pay the rent. This guide is about rent assistance for a low income family.

I need help paying my rent. I am a mother of 3. I lost my job and I need help to pay my rent before 10 days are up or I will be evicted. I have no money for Christmas, that's OK. I just need help to keep a roof over their heads. Please tell me where I can find help for my family.

By Cheryl

Answers

Best Answer

Even if you'd move into subsidized housing you would still need rent and deposit. I think your best bet would be churches, even if they will only help a little it might be enough to keep you from being homeless. Sign up for cash assistance at your local welfare until you can get back on your feet.

Best Answer

You can go to a local church or try the county outreach program, where you sign up for food stamps. They may be able to send you in the right direction. To get help with housing since there are so many on the housing list waiting and government seems to ignore that fact. You will be better off getting homeless and going to a shelter for women and children. Ky will pay for housing for a whole year if you go into a shelter. Otherwise there is no help for you. Good Luck, hope the community services can help.

How do I find an apartment in NC to rent on my social Security supplemental income? I am younger than 46 and I am widowed. I have 2 cats. My income is less than $426.00 per month only.

Eliza from Charlotte, NC

Answers

Section 8 housing...every city has them. call your local social services department and they will help you. Only 30% of your income will be taken from you to pay for your rent & utilities (minus your phone bill and there is no air conditioning in the units unless you put a window unit in).

I draw SSDI too and that is what I had to do. The places are not fancy here but they are clean and warm in the winter.

Of course, the walls are very thin and you can hear everything that is going on next door, but generally folks are nice and turn their tv's down and try not to fight with the kids etc.

Good luck to you and GOD BLESS!

See if your city has HUD housing It goes according to your income. Since you're drawing soc sec at a young age You no doubt will qualify. Some accept pets but a deposit of 300.00 is required here in Michigan. Its worth checking into. Good Luck!

Check in phone book.for the local housing authority.

Hello and thank you for your replies. I have applied for public housing which is a 3-4 year wait here.
Eliza

The waiting list for HUD housing is 2-5 years in NC (Wake County)

I am on SSI and getting 600.00. I live in a mobile home and I have lot rent to pay. My lot rent is 500.00. Are there any agencies in Glendale Arizona that can help me with the rent or my light bill which is 130.00 a month. I don't know what to do about my bills. Thank you.

Answers

Can you get a part-time job? How about a roommate to help share costs?

HUD section 8 voucher program {try glendale housing athority}or ask at SSA{{{hud could be an apartment at 30% of your income}BUT not sure if it allows trailers in AZ....They can steer you to energy assistance too.

I believe APS has a program that will help with the electric bill. I would try to get some help from them.
Maybe you could talk to the manager at the MHP & explain the situation. Possibly volunteer to help at the park in exchange for a reduced lot rent? Sorry you are dealing with this & Hope you find a solution soon.

Time to call your town hall to see if they have any programs that you could use. If you're a Senior there's a program called LIHEAP (in Illinois)that gives you a monthly amount to pay your electric & heating gas bills. Again, start with the Senior Services Dept. in your town. Have you applied for Public Aid? Good luck.

My husband and I need help. My husband is self employed and his business isn't doing very well. So because of this we are extremely late with this month's rent and don't know what to do or how to come up with it. We have two children, 12 and 11. We don't want to get evicted. Where can we find help?

Answers

One obvious thing to do is to look at local churches and other do-good organizations. Just by going to their website you should get an idea on whether they offer anything. Also you can put an ad on craigslist community and see if anything comes up. YOu could also do a gofundme.com campaign and blow it up on social media.

ALso, this 3-year old article discusses an organization http://www.thep  om/modest-needs/ - though in today's world where things move so quickly, they might not be active anymore.

Also http://finance.  d-heat-and-more/

and http://www.mone  elp-paying-rent/

Contact the landlord at once. Even if you pay a little, you may be able to stay. Also contact your local welfare agency. You may be eligible for food stamps, which would free up some money for the rent.

Does anyone know where I can get rental assistance in northern New Jersey? I live in Kearny, New Jersey. I have tried many places, but no one seems to want to help.

By Lynda

Answers

Have you checked with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office? All states/cities have an assistance program, that is funded by the Federal Government. I think is is called Section 8, and it has slightly different names all over. Usually there is a waiting list that is quit long to get onto the program. Where I live, in a city of about 150,000 people there is roughly a five year waiting list to get the assistance.