Rent Assistance for a Low Income Family?

Category Paying Bills
Depending on where you are located, there are programs available that can help pay the rent. This page is about rent assistance for a low income family.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

November 27, 2012

I need help paying my rent. I am a mother of 3. I lost my job and I need help to pay my rent before 10 days are up or I will be evicted. I have no money for Christmas, that's OK. I just need help to keep a roof over their heads. Please tell me where I can find help for my family.

By Cheryl


November 28, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

Even if you'd move into subsidized housing you would still need rent and deposit. I think your best bet would be churches, even if they will only help a little it might be enough to keep you from being homeless. Sign up for cash assistance at your local welfare until you can get back on your feet.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 28, 20120 found this helpful
Best Answer

You can go to a local church or try the county outreach program, where you sign up for food stamps. They may be able to send you in the right direction. To get help with housing since there are so many on the housing list waiting and government seems to ignore that fact.


You will be better off getting homeless and going to a shelter for women and children. Ky will pay for housing for a whole year if you go into a shelter. Otherwise there is no help for you. Good Luck, hope the community services can help.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

February 20, 2018

I am disabled and get SSI every month. Yesterday I got a 5 day eviction notice from the manager in the park where I live. I live in Wisconsin (Schofield) and I have to pay lot rent; I owe $433.00. I cannot be evicted as I'll be homeless. Is there a place in my city that does help with rent? I have now 4 days left to give my landlord (the manager of the park) the lot rent. I need help and am very desperate for help.


February 21, 20180 found this helpful
Best Answer

If you find someone to help with your lot rent this month, what will happen next month?


  • Are you saying you have your own mobile home and you are paying for lot rent?
  • Have you been having trouble paying this rent before or have you had extenuating circumstance that has caused you to be low on money?
  • Do you need the full amount or will you just be asking for part of the money?
  • I am asking these questions because these are the type of questions you will be asked if you go to any organization that does assist with rent payments.
  • Usually, assistance is on a most needed and first come basis and any family with children will usually be at the top of the list.
  • This type of assistance may only be for one month a year but some do offer further help.
  • If you are having trouble every month, they may tell you that it may be more beneficial for you to apply for low-income housing.
  • You can check these agencies in your area as there are several that offer assistance with rent payments.
  • Advertisement

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

March 10, 2016

I am on SSI and getting 600.00. I live in a mobile home and I have lot rent to pay. My lot rent is 500.00. Are there any agencies in Glendale Arizona that can help me with the rent or my light bill which is 130.00 a month. I don't know what to do about my bills. Thank you.


March 11, 20160 found this helpful

Can you get a part-time job? How about a roommate to help share costs?

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 11, 20161 found this helpful

HUD section 8 voucher program {try glendale housing athority}or ask at SSA{{{hud could be an apartment at 30% of your income}BUT not sure if it allows trailers in AZ....They can steer you to energy assistance too.

Reply Was this helpful? 1
March 12, 20160 found this helpful

I believe APS has a program that will help with the electric bill. I would try to get some help from them.


Maybe you could talk to the manager at the MHP & explain the situation. Possibly volunteer to help at the park in exchange for a reduced lot rent? Sorry you are dealing with this & Hope you find a solution soon.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 13, 20160 found this helpful

Time to call your town hall to see if they have any programs that you could use. If you're a Senior there's a program called LIHEAP (in Illinois)that gives you a monthly amount to pay your electric & heating gas bills. Again, start with the Senior Services Dept. in your town. Have you applied for Public Aid? Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

April 27, 2018

I live in Louisiana and my fiancé is 100% disabled due to a car wreck about 5 years ago when a police car rear-ended him at 85 mph. He was left paralyzed and in a wheelchair for 3 years til we found a doctor who was willing to do a research and development surgery on him. He was not expected to ever walk again and had little chance of even surviving the surgery.


My fiancé was once a very successful business owner, but had to spend every penny on trying to walk again. Now our only income is his SSI check. I need advice on how to get government assistance on paying our rent because unfortunately we are currently homeless from waiting on him to get approved for SSI and the amount is not nearly enough for a family of 5 to survive on. Rent around here averages around $700 a month. We have no clue and don't know where to get advice. Any advice is accepted and very much appreciated.


April 27, 20180 found this helpful

I would contact the Department of Social Services in your area. They should be able to help with housing.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 27, 20180 found this helpful

Hopefully, you will now have this income but I'm sure it has been difficult in the past.

  • If your husband is on SSI then that means he did not have sufficient credits to qualify for SSDI so the children cannot receive any Social Security benefits.
  • Undoubtedly you are on several government assistance programs since there are 3 children involved.
  • Assistance available for a family that qualifies:
  • Food stamp program should be for available for your family.
  • Depending on the ages of the children, Medicare should be available for all of their medical needs.
  • There is also a "benefit" program that provides cash money for other expenses.
  • There are several other government programs that may be available for a family like yours - nursery/kindergarten/after school care for children so a parent can work.
  • Free meal benefits for children in school.
  • Try to be sure that you are using the benefits available for your family before you ask for housing assistance.
  • Your local Social Services or Family Services should be able to help you apply for all of these services including housing assistance.
  • They may be able to help you apply to HUD for housing and usually a family with children will not be placed on the bottom of their "list" of applicants.
  • Louisiana has a long list of agencies that offer help for families in need but you will have to do the research yourself and many have long applications.
  • You will also find that all agencies have certain qualifications but if you are on government programs this will many times help make you qualified as they will verify information through those agencies.
  • It is possible you could qualify for a Habitat home but their qualifications are just as strict (or more so) than other agencies.
  • Find your local habitat office with your zip code:
  • Here is a Google search for help in Louisiana and most will have links to your zip code if needed.
Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 17, 20180 found this helpful

why could you not receive compensation for damages from the police department? Is it too late to get a lawyer involved? I bet at elast a few would take this case pro bono.

if for some reason that's not an option then yes, simply pursue social services

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

October 17, 2016

My husband and I need help. My husband is self employed and his business isn't doing very well. So because of this we are extremely late with this month's rent and don't know what to do or how to come up with it. We have two children, 12 and 11. We don't want to get evicted. Where can we find help?


January 31, 20170 found this helpful

One obvious thing to do is to look at local churches and other do-good organizations. Just by going to their website you should get an idea on whether they offer anything. Also you can put an ad on craigslist community and see if anything comes up. YOu could also do a campaign and blow it up on social media.

ALso, this 3-year old article discusses an organization - though in today's world where things move so quickly, they might not be active anymore.



Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 5, 20170 found this helpful

Contact the landlord at once. Even if you pay a little, you may be able to stay. Also contact your local welfare agency. You may be eligible for food stamps, which would free up some money for the rent.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Answer this Question...

Budget & Finance Paying BillsDecember 2, 2012
Pest Control
Summer Ideas!
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-16 00:35:22 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Add to PageAsk a Question