Paying a Lump Sum Child Support Settlement

If you owe back child support and you can settle for a lump sum, should I pay it or see if there are more options? It is a large lump sum.

By Mike

If you are not charged any interest or penalties for doing so you should pay this obligation over time.

If you can do the lump sum, do it. Most states require (no exceptions) that interest be collected on past-due child support, so you would get out from under the obligation faster by doing the lump sum. Be sure to get the paperwork signed off and keep copies forEVER!

Hi - my neighbor says - been there, done that.
First thing to consider - are you facing a jail term if not paid by a certain time?

I live in Florida and they just love to give people a short length of time to pay back support or else!

Since I have seen several cases of things like this, I would say you definitely need an attorney if this is a large sum as you want to be absolutely sure this is your best deal and that it cannot come back later to bite you!

That said - you should be very careful of what you agree to as these things are very tricky and do not always cover all bases.
Best bet - get an attorney!!!

If you are behind, pay it. There is a child waiting for you to make up your mind, Just do it.