Back Child Support Interest and SSI

I have started an application for SSI and want to know what bearing does that play on the interest on child support. Will this put a stop to the interest accruing annually?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

September 10, 20180 found this helpful

Every case varies so I would contact someone at the office to get your specific question answered.

But here is a forum that goes around SSI and Child Support that you can reference:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 10, 20180 found this helpful

This is a question for Social Security. Make an appointment and bring all relevant documentation.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 10, 20180 found this helpful

There are so many misconceptions about parents receiving SSI and child support payments that it would be best for you to discuss this at your local SSA.


Since you have just filed you still have no idea as to whether your claim will be approved or if it is approved when that will happen and that could be several months.

It sounds like you have a court order to pay child support and perhaps have not been making regular payments and now the court has a set amount of back support that is now accruing interest until it is paid?

This would be in addition to the monthly support that you are obligated to pay now. If you have not been able to work (ref: filing for SSI) then it would seem your support payments would have been reduced?

As a general rule, SSI benefits cannot be garnisheed for child support payments so it would seem that would apply to back support as well as interest on back support. But only the SSA can tell you how this might apply to you.


Here are some sites that have discussions about this subject but, as stated, every case is different and you will have to get specific information from the SSA for answers to your case.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 12, 20180 found this helpful

This is a question for the experts at the Social Security office...their contact info is:

I hope you find the answer you are looking for in your case.

If you have trouble getting through or don't understand the answer, contact your state senator. You can find them through Google putting in your town name and the phrase state senator. Their services are paid for by tax dollars so you don't pay a fee to talk to them.


I find them very helpful and they can often put governmenteze into English!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportSeptember 10, 2018
Mother's Day Ideas!
Easter Ideas!
Pest Control
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/04/16 16:23:10 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!