Back Child Support and Disability

I have recently been awarded SSD. Thankfully with help I have been able to pay child support during the time I was disabled. Once my children receive their back pay (which is greater than my child support obligation), is my ex-husband responsible to repay me the $20,000 I have paid from loans? Or am I out that money completely? I have so many people to reimburse and really need that money back. Please help!


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

May 16, 20190 found this helpful

If the child support was his responsibility, he would have to pay back. I am not sure about any interest on the loans. This is a question best answered by Social Security. Make an appointment and bring all your documentation.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 16, 20190 found this helpful

This is very complicated and a little confusing to me. I am thinking you need to go to the experts on each subject so you can get the best answers.

If you have questions about your SSD, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration.

If you have questions about your child support, you will need to talk to your lawyer or the judge who set up the payment schedule.

If you have questions about your loan repayment obligations, this is one for the bank or lending organization. If you and your ex took the loan out together, you and he need to understand each of your obligations.


Post back with what you learn!! Sending prayers and blessings that it can all work out in a way that is good for your situation!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 16, 20190 found this helpful

I want to say thank you for the responses. Yes it is very confusing. I am going to call social security tomorrow... I am sure I will be back asking for more advice.. thank you

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 18, 20190 found this helpful

It is my understanding that you were borrowing money to pay child support to your ex husband? Now that you qualify for disability you are asking if you will get the money you paid in child support back? No thats not how it works. The awards to your children are to provide care for them. Not for your ex husband to pay back money that you paid to help support your children.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
May 19, 20190 found this helpful

I hope you have ask your questions at the SSA as this is something that they may be able to help you with.


If you paid support (paid up to date) then it is possible you may be able to recover some of that money - but you may need an attorney to help you.

You will probably need legal advise about whether your child support monthly amount can be reduced or if you will have to continue to pay.
SS can answer some of your questions but they may not be able to change anything that deals with the benefit check going to your children.
There are a lot of variables and every case is different so ask your questions and then decide whether you need an attorney.
If you need help with fees you may be able to consult with family services about free financial assistance.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportMay 16, 2019
Halloween Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/09/16 08:46:59 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!