Side DishesRecipes

Pineapple Fried Rice

I just love this refreshing and juicy take on egg fried rice. It's the perfect crowd-pleaser for summer potlucks and picnics, especially when served in the pineapple itself. This recipe includes steps for adding raisins and coconut, but I also make this without them for my picky family members, and it turns out just as great!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

1. Cut along both sides of the pineapple core. Pull out the core.
  2. Cut along the edge of the pineapple, about 1/4 inch away from edge. Cut the remaining pineapple into cubes and scoop out with a spoon.
  3. Put 2 cups of the pineapple cubes in a bowl and save the rest for another use.
  4. Ad

5. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Pour in the eggs and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are soft-set scrambled, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour scrambled eggs in a big bowl and set aside.
  6. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan. Add the pineapple and red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid has evaporated and the pineapple begins to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  7. Ad

8. Add the green onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
  9. If you're using them, add the raisins and coconut. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Transfer the contents of the pan to your bowl of eggs.
  10. Ad

11. Reduce the heat to medium and add 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Add the rice to the pan. Cook until the rice is hot, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes.
  12. Pour the contents of the bowl back into the pan and stir to combine, breaking up the scrambled eggs with your spoon. Cook until the contents are warmed through.
  13. Ad

14. Remove the pan from heat. Add the soy sauce and hot sauce. Salt to taste.
  15. Spoon finished fried rice into pineapple bowl. Serve.

Looks good and beautifully presented! At sprouts last week or so they had pineapple for only .99 cents! I wish I known this recipe. Next time!

Hi Michelle! That is exactly where I got my pineapples! Definitely try it next time :)

Really sounds and looks delicious! Directions so easy to follow - you really know how to "dot the I's and cross the T's" when giving instructions.
Thanks for this keeper - not today - but definitely later.
Betty

Aww, thanks so much, Betty. I appreciate it. I hope you make it sometime and let me know what you think! :)

We made this yesterday (Monday) and it turned out great. Had to substitute/change a few ingredients (no store trip till later in week) but still very good recipe. If anyone loves pineapple (who could not?) then this will really make your meal one to remember.
Betty

Ahhh, brilliant! I'm so happy you tried it! Thanks for coming back to let us know. Now I'm craving it. I think I'll make one with chopped cashews! Have a beautiful day!