How to Make Pistachio Shell Flowers and Candle Holder

Category Decorations
Save the shells next time you enjoy a bowl of pistachios. The shells can be used to make a unique candle holder or flowers. This is a guide about how to make pistachio shell flowers and candle holder.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've eaten a "lot" of pistachios. Even back then, I would save the shells in order to make crafts out of them because I thought they were so pretty to throw away. Yes, my thriftiness started at a young age. This is how I make flowers and candle holders out of my pistachio shells. Painting them is completely optional. I think they look lovely in their plain state. :)

Total Time: 1 hour

• several pistachio shells (about 1.5 cups worth or more)
  • CD or cardboard rounds
  • hot glue gun with glue
  • candle
  • acrylic paint and brush (optional)

1. To make a candle holder flower, place your candle in the middle of your CD to find out how much space you'll need around the first ring of pistachio shells.
  2. Dab some hot glue down on the CD.
  3. Begin adding pistachio shells side by side, standing straight up, all around the candle.
  4. Ad

5. When you've made your first ring around the candle, start a new one just outside of it, but with the shells leaning back a bit.
  6. As you keep making new rings, lay them down a bit more each time, as if the flower is in bloom.
  7. Ad

8. When the CD or cardboard round is fully covered, you are done.
  9. Cut out mini rounds to make small flowers.
  10. Ad

11. If you want to paint some, start by dabbing down acrylic paint in the middle and working your way outside.
  12. Then paint the outsides of the shells, then the bottom. Let dry.
  13. Ad

14. Light your candle and enjoy.

Lovely! Would make great gifts, and might be something you'd consider selling?

Thank you and yes, indeed! They've been a hit with everyone so far. I have no qualms eating half the product to make these, either ;)

This is becoming uncanny. I saw the title and said, 'That's Miz Toosa'. Sure enough it was! (People are going to start talking).

Seriously, it's a beautiful little craft. And I think wordswork is right. There could be a market for these. Friends, neighbors, eBay? And you could customize to the buyers taste with their favorite colour and candle scent.

Go for it, Friend Girl!

You're very good at guessing which posts are mine! Impressed!

I've always been shy about selling my artwork (even my music as a musician, ha) because I'm rather modest, but maybe I will give that a go. I love the idea of the colour and scent tweaks!