Pit Bull Too Thin

My two-year-old Pit Bull Terrier has his full spinal cord showing which is bothering me. I also see his ribs all the time even though he gets fed through the morning, evening, and nighttime. Even though my dog shows no sign of pain it bothers me. I need help!

Best Answer

If your dog is healthy and active I wouldnt worry. You could talk to your vet and ask if a higher-calorie food would be recommended

Best Answer

Has your dog been checked for worms? Worms will make a pitbull skinny in the back and ribs like yours is. If you take him to the vet and are told he is healthy with no other medical problem causing this I wouldn't worry. Bread and Oatmeal will put weight on pitbulls but isn't always healthy for every dog. Check with your vet before feeding him either of these. If he's healthy don't worry about it. Healthy is the important thing.

Best Answer

A dog this thin would be a red flag for me. Dogs can have metabolic disorders like high thyroid that cause them no pain but need to be treated for them to remain healthy. Have your dog checked out.

it is difficult to tell but from the photo, I would tend to think your Terrier is underweight and may have either a health problem or a dietary problem. I do not believe his backbone should be so prominent.

• Veterinary visits can get very expensive when several tests are needed but the vet should know what tests are needed and not have to do a complete battery of tests.
  • What kind of food may be one of the problems and not just how much he is eating.
  • He may also have worms but there may be other health issues that need attention.