Next >︎
To Top

Plaster Column Has Odor

I have a three foot plaster (of Paris?) column and it has a strong, "soft" odor. It was outside in the past and it is now in my home. I feel like I'm breathing in spores. It has some black "stuff" in crevices and the start of patina green. Any advice?

Ad


Thanks in advance.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 4, 20170 found this helpful

The black stuff is mold. A diluted solution of bleach will kill it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 6, 20170 found this helpful

Thank-you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 4, 20170 found this helpful

Mold. Plaster retains moisture so it will be difficult to get rid of. Use a mold killer or bleach on it and keep in a dry wel ventilated area. You may also need to treat it several times or use a kilz type of paint on it as well.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Ad

January 5, 20170 found this helpful

What you have is black mold.Clorox will help,but the best way to kill it is with vinegar.Black mold is very dangerous! Put a mask on ,then put the vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the stand outside.Scrub it down with a small brush.If this does not kill it ,then spray it down again!Do not get this mold on you,as I said,it is very dangerous!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 6, 20170 found this helpful

Thank-you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 5, 20170 found this helpful

Any solution would be a lot safer if you were able to take the column back outside to clean.
If it is in your house you will have to determine what might/can be ruined if a bleach solution is used.

A lot of people use a bleach solution (generally 1/2 cup to a gallon of water) but you should only use this in a well ventilated area, using gloves and also a mask would be safer. If necessary, a stronger solution (1 cup bleach to a gallon of water) can be used but the milder solution would probably work.

Ad

Let the solution remain for at least 15 minutes before rinsing with a water and maybe Dawn mixture.

I definitely prefer vinegar (same mixture (1/2 cup to gallon water) as there are no toxic fumes and will not ruin anything it touches.

A good rinse and use sunlight to finish the job.

It would be safer to get rid of this item If one of these methods does not completely remove the mold.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 6, 20170 found this helpful

Thank-you!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Anonymous
January 14, 20170 found this helpful

Odoban would take care of the mold, bacteria and odor in a less toxic way. It's around $6 at lowes or Walmart.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 20, 20170 found this helpful

Thank-you very much!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Ad

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
garden statue
Cleaning Garden Statuary
Next >︎
Categories
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 4, 2017
Guides
three cute black plaster elephants in the grass
Plaster of Paris Casting and Painting
Spray cans of spray varnish.
Sealing Plaster Stepping Stones
cleaning bucket
Cleaning Unpainted Plaster Walls
Patching a Plaster Wall
Patching a Plaster Wall
More
🍂
Thanksgiving Ideas!
🎃
Halloween Ideas!
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Contests!
Newsletters
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Categories
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/10/18 22:27:16 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!