Plaster of Paris Casting and Painting

Category Miscellaneous
three cute black plaster elephants in the grass
Lime plaster and gauze have been used for casting sculptures and wall ornamentation for centuries. This is a guide about plaster of Paris casting and painting.

While cleaning out my father's garage I found an unpainted plaster of Paris wall decoration shaped like a cluster of roses. It looks like something from the '50's. I painted it and what a disaster! The colors came out much brighter than they looked in their little containers. The result is cheap and garish. I'd like to redo it but don't know how.

The paints were labeled "All Purpose Craft Paints". It doesn't say what kind they are or how to remove them. Soap and water didn't work. They don't smell like oil and they're not shiny like enamel (the finish is dull and chalky). The paint is thick, very hard to spread and has no smell. Does anyone know how I can remove this or paint over it without destroying the plaque?

Spray paint? Maybe a color that will mask all, a silver, gold, stone flecked?

You could try doing a light wash in black paint mixed with a lot of water (so the other colors shows through but it tones it down by making it a darker tint.) Then when that is dry and as you want it, paint on a clear gloss.

If you don't think that would work, you could spray paint it white, get some new paint colors that you will like and repaint it. I don't know how much luck you would have removing the paint that is on there.

Susan from ThriftyFun

A coat of water based primer should do it nicely, the same kind you use on walls.

Sounds like you got an old batch of craft paints. They may be acryclics rather than waterbased general craft paints. I would take some dark brown water based craft paint and add water until it makes a wash-like consistency. Paint it on, leave it for a few seconds, then wipe most of it off with soft, absorbant cloths, being sure to leave brown in cracks, crevices or carved details. This antiquing method tones down bright paint considerably and gives the piece an old look. Finish with a matte or gloss sealer spray, depending on the look u want.

I think all the other suggestions are very good. I just want to add that there is no need to take the paint off that you have used. Just paint right over top of it with new colors, or try the antiquing ideas that have been suggested. If they don't work, just try again. You have likely been using acrylic paints. You can mix them to get the colors you like better -- ie. if the green is too bright, add a little red or rusty brown to soften it. Try them out on paper to see what the colors are like.

I read all the feedback you have received so far and it is all good. The only thing I could even add is this. If you do decide to go with an antique-ing method, you will be pleased to find that it is a great concealer for any small mistakes you may have made by getting slightly out of line. Also, it would be best to do the antique-ing in small parts at a time as if you have to wait to long before wiping down part of it, then you could get one side darker than the other. Also my suggestion is to try your sealant clear coats on the back to see if you are going to want to use a matte finish or a gloss. This is strictly up to personal preferance as to what you are trying to achieve. Best of luck!

I resurfaced two huge plaster Roman women plaster

plaques with a mint green all over, then when dry went back over just the "high points" with my finger rubbing antique gold from a tube. It just turned out so well. I also have a bust of Plaster that I have literally left white and LOVE it, so you might consider just plain white? Depends upon your wall, decor, place you will put it. Don't be afraid of it. The only thing with plaster is that it CHIPS EASILY and can scratch wood, use felt on bottom? So be careful with it. I've got several larger items I hope to patch, but the projects are down the list quite a ways.

Good luck and God bless you. : )

I think the antiquing idea is great but if you don't like that idea you can get some stuff that you can put on there that is a pearl finish that would look nice too. I don't know the name of it, sorry. Good luck!

I want to know how to seal a plaster casting. We just bought 2 plaster pillars. I want to use them outside. How do I keep them in good shape in the wind and rain. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks and Blessings to you.

If unpainted, with no plans to paint them in the future, I'd use Thompson Water Seal two coats missing no area, drying well between coats, including spraying the bottom and inside, if possible. Plaster will easily deteriorate in the outdoors, just crumbling away. But

paint helps slow the process down, and Water Seal does even better BUT you must do it annually.

It's not easy to paint over anything Water Sealed, I hear, so I'd think it through before doing anything.

AND, take the spraying way out away from anything

and spray on a still day, on LOTS of newspaper, because it is Silicone based, and will likely kill whatever it lands on or drifts to. It will also make a water-resistant area on any cememt you spray it on. So, use common sense and don't do anything hastily. Decide what you want from it. White is a lovely color for the patio. Colors eventurally peel/chip/fade.

Good luck, and God bless you. : )

Thanks for the help! I was just about to ask the very same question! Be lucky!

I have an English Tudor House built in 1937. I am trying to find out what the design is called that was put on our interior walls. I need to repair cracks and want to make the same design in my plaster. Anyone out there know what it is called?

Pelham Manor Cats from NY

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Need a small amount of plaster of Paris, but don't want to make a trip to the store to get it? That was the situation I found myself in this weekend. I searched the Internet and found this simple recipe. Put a 3 parts flour to 2 parts warm water in a container and mix until it is smooth. Use as you would plaster of Paris. It does not dry white as plaster of Paris does and does have minor cracks so it won't work in some applications.

I needed something to hide the look of a Styrofoam wreath before gluing seashells on and it worked great for this purpose. The off white color was perfect to go with the seashells. After placing the wreath on waxed paper I brushed the plaster of Paris on with a pastry brush. I then placed the whole thing in my oven with the light on and in 48 hours, it was dry. It turned out great.

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

plaster covered Styrofoam and shell wreath

Comment Like this photo? 8