Making a Plastic Pop Bottle Vase

Category Containers
With a bit of creative cutting and folding you can transform a plastic bottle into a beautiful vase. This is a guide about making a plastic bottle vase.

Don't throw out your plastic bottles. A little cutting and folding will transform them into beautiful starburst vases!

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 1 vase

Source: A simple version of one from an old craft class

• plastic bottle
  • knife
  • scissors

1. Remove any labeling.
  2. Cut off the top of the bottle. I punctured a hole with my knife then stuck the scissors in and went around.
  3. Make straight, even-sized thin cuts around the bottle vertically. Go all the way around the bottle.
  4. Fold the strips down so they are level.
  5. Take one strip and fold it over the next strip and tuck under the strip after that. Continue all the way around the bottle.
  6. Fill with water and flowers. Enjoy!

I have no epoxy glue so I can't glue them together yet, but I like the way it turned out. It would be a cute planter due to its little size and design, very lightweight.

I have several empty large liqour bottles that are unique in shape and size. My friend gave me these after we have been drinking them over the past year.

I've decided that I would like to decorate at least one of them and transform it into a nice flower vase for her. She loves flowers and I think that it will make a wonderful friendship gift from the heart for her to add to her decor in her new apartment.

Any tips or instructions on transforming these bottles into attractive vases? (even getting off the labels too!)

Thanks!

Jo in TN

Answers

By Lois in Michigan (Guest Post)

To get the labels off soak them in cooking oil overnight.
For unique looking vases cut a clipping of a houseplant (spider plant or a vine that is fast growing _experiment with any) and put them in the clear water. This makes a vase full of very white roots. People notice the shape of the bottle as interest is drawn to the bottle rather than above. It takes a little time but worth it.

By Sherrill (Guest Post)

I'd like to cut off the top. Any tips on how to cut the glass and then sand it smooth?

While these posts are a few years old, I thought
I would bump it back up with mention of a wet tile

saw. Mine is a handy dandy little 7" QEP from Lowe's
Home Improvement Center.

If I can use it, you can use it.

It would be best to use the saw outdoors, and just
be sure to wear protective eye wear and hearing
protection, along with clothes you don't mind getting
dirty and wet.

Take your time, keep the water reservoir full and
cut away.

KM