Vote for this contender! (0 votes)
This is a Goldilocks and the Three Bears playhouse. I used a pattern online and adapted it for this fairy tale story.
Total Time: 10 hours
Link: Flats House
- fabric, assorted large scraps
- felt, assorted scraps and colors
- soft and stable thin foam
- bias tape, 2 1/2 inches wide
- 1 12 by 18 sheet of plastic canvas
- Using the pattern pieces found in the link for this project, lay out and cut the pieces onto desired fabric for front and back of house, handle section, inside and outside walls of house, floor of house, and back wall of house.
- I cut out Goldilocks and the Three Bears out of felt and glued them together. I found random patterns to use for Goldilocks and the bears. I glued a piece of velcro to the back of Goldilocks.
- To make a template from the plastic canvas, trace the handle pattern onto canvas. Cut the handle pattern from the plastic around the pen lines. Set aside. (If I were to modify the pattern, it may be easier to make the handle a rectangular shape so that when it is bound with bias tape, in a later step, it would be easier to bind.) Using the plastic template pattern, cut four handles from fabric.
- From the soft and stable foam (this keeps the playhouse standing in an upright position and is a necessary step.), cut two 13 1/2" by 13 1/2" squares for the side walls Cut them diagonally from corner to corner. Next, from the foam, cut 4 pieces of foam measuring 16 1/2" by 18 1/4". Align the template plastic handle to the top piece of the large rectangle of the soft and stable foam. Cut off the top corners along each side of the handle. Cut the handle center out. *Do not cut the bottom edge. Repeat this step for the remaining three pieces of the larger rectangle soft and stable foam.
- Right sides together, line the bottom of a handle piece with the 16 1/2 edge of an exterior house panel. Stitch together using a l/2" seam. Repeat with the other exterior panel, inside wall panel, and inside floor panel.
- Layer the soft and stable foam pieces on the wrong side of each of the corresponding panel pieces and stitch l/2" from raw edges.
- Using the pattern pieces in the link or some of your own choosing, cut pieces for the front of the house and the interior of the house. I made a bed, a table with three bowls, and a chair, representative of the fairytale for Goldilocks and the Three Bears. You can use fabric scraps or felt. I chose to do felt. These will need to be placed on the interior walls, floor, and exterior of the house and applique in place.
- To assemble, the house: with wrong sides together, match the front to the floor and pin and stitch. Then, match the interior back wall to the exterior back of the house and pin and stitch. Match the triangular, interior walls together and pin and stitch. (use l/2" seams) Bind the diagonal edge of left and right interior wall panels with the bias tape. Then, sew these panel pieces with the left and right edge of the back wall. Pin and stitch l/2" along each side. With the interior pieces together, align the bottom edge of the left and right interior wall triangles with the left and right edge of the floor panel and pin and stitch l/2" along each side.
- Bind all raw edges with bias tape except for the very bottom edges. Note: I made l/2" seam allowances rather than the suggested l/8" seam allowances because I wanted to make sure all thicknesses were caught into the seam. I also hand baste together rather than pin to make it easier to hold all of the thicknesses in place.
- With interior pieces together, align the bottom edges of the front and back panels and pin and stitch l/2" along the raw edge. Bind the bottom edge.
- Cut two pieces of velcro and glue or sew to inside of the handle at the top of the playhouse to keep it together while not in use. Glue piece of velcro to the interior of the playhouse so Goldilocks has a storage spot.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.