Building an Outdoor Playhouse

Category Miscellaneous
Two story backyard playhouse.
What kid wouldn't love to have a playhouse out in the yard? Building a playhouse doesn't have to be to complicated. This is a guide about building a playhouse.

Every kid needs a playhouse or club house, so I set out to build our youngest grand child a club house. My idea came from a playhouse that we spotted in town one day. I came home and searched Google to find some plans. I couldn't find what i really wanted so I just winged it.

The club house is 6x6 feet including the porch. It is almost 6 foot high at the peak, the roof is a 3-12 pitch. I used lap siding, and rough cedar for the trim. It took about 35 hours to build, at a cost of around $700.00

By John from Haysville, KS

I have a raised deck that went beside an above ground pool. We don't use the deck with the pool so it's wasted space. My friend had the idea of turning it into a playhouse; getting a plastic BBQ grill, play stove, small table, etc., at consignment stores to put out there. The deck is 8' x 13' raised, with 3 steps leading up to the deck with a swinging door. It has basic deck flooring with a railing and wooden lattice surrounding 3 sides about 2 to 3 feet up (I'll add a railing & lattice to the 4th side). My youngest daughter's birthday is in March so this would be a nice birthday surprise. Any suggestions for this project?

Thanks!

Nancy from Milton, FL

Don't forget shade if it is in a sunny area. A standing umbrella, dining canopy or some other way of shading it should be considered.

Jean,

I'm trying to come up with shading ideas as well. I'm in Florida so I definitely need shade for them but there's also that pesky issue of hurricanes so I need something that I can take down. I think there are some bamboo shades in the attic left from the previous home owners. I might be able to use that for the sunny side. Now I need to figure out something for a cover. Maybe an umbrella or some type of removable awning. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive solution. I had an idea last night to paint the deck flooring to look like it has a throw rug on it.

Depending on how high the platform is, could she play under it? Our old pool platform has a tarp over it, covering three sides. The dogs use it for shade, and my granddaughter used to play under it when she was younger. I put a piece of old carpet under it for her.