Potato and Broccoli Casserole Recipes

Category Casseroles
A healthy delicious dish can be created with these vegetables. This page contains potato and broccoli casserole recipes.

This is one of the easiest casserole dishes that you can make. It's great for summer or winter, and serves as a satisfying meatless week-night dinner very well. There are several different versions of this delicious casserole in my recipe file, but this is my family's favorite. The addition of sharp cheddar cheese adds so much flavor and nutrition.

Sauce ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare Sauce: Heat butter in saucepan. Sprinkle with flour, cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk, sour cream, and seasonings. Whisk everything together until they are well mixed. Simmer while stirring until sauce is boiling, then remove from heat. If it seems too thick, add another 1/2 cup milk.

Peel, cut, and boil potatoes with broccoli stems which have been separated from florets and cut into bite-size pieces. If stems are very tough, peel them with a potato peeler.

Boil until fork tender, then add the broken-up florets to the pot and cook 5 more minutes.

In a large buttered casserole dish, layer the potato and broccoli mixture alternating with sauce and a sprinkling of shredded cheddar cheese.

Finish with a top layer of sauce, more cheddar, and sprinkle with Parmesan.

If you like, you may add a topping of crushed Ritz crackers

Bake, covered for 15 minutes. Then bake an additional 5 minutes, uncovered. Cool and serve. Casserole should be hot and bubbly and the top should be nicely browned.

You may need to leave it in the oven for an additional 5 minutes. The browning gives it a rich golden appearance and adds a lot to the flavor.

Servings: 6-8
Time:Approx. 25 Minutes Preparation Time
Approx. 25 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My Mother's recipe.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

I'm so sorry everyone. "Cool and serve" should be the very last sentence in the directions. My mistake.

You've probably already figured this out for yourself, but just in case we have some new cooks in the group, I thought I should clarify my directions.

Thank you for your patience.

Pookarina

Thanks for the extra note Pookarina. Makes sense.

This sounds so good and broccoli is our favorite vegetable. We eat a lot of it all year long. Added to

the potatoes and cheese, it would a great luncheon meal or a simple Saturday-Night Supper.
Thanks for sharng your recipe.
HokeyPoke

This sounds so yummy! Dang it, now I'm hungry...

I love this recipe Julia and I've eaten a broccoli and potato casserole with cheese, so I know it's good. Your recipe sounds great, and it's a keeper.
Thank you so much.

Thumbs Up.
MisMachado