Potty Training a Very Badly Abused Dog

My Poodle Bishon mix is almost 2. I have had her since she was 5 months, she has always been afraid to potty but especially poop. She almost runs away as she is popping. I've always praised her and given treats when she goes on her pad. She is deathly afraid of men and brooms or anything with a long stick on it.

My boyfriend has lived with me for about a year and his 16 year old son moved in about 6 months ago. She has gotten a lot worse since then, I don't know what to do anymore. I can't raise my voice to her, she has been beat so badly. A bad person cut half of her ear off, I'm guessing a male because of how she reacts to men. I'm thinking she got beaten when she went poop and potty. I just want her to be happy. Please help us!

By Sarah Ann

2/23/11 Mallinoislover on related info just above. " Training a dog that was abused " Information doesn't get any better than that. I would also suggest lots of holding, comforting, lap sitting and hugs. Do hope your household is calm with no arguments or shouting. The 16 year old needs special instructions. Do hope he has been understanding and kind to your little one.

I have a very abused white poodle, and my husband and I have had her for 2 years now. I kept her in an open wire crate when we were gone and she still goes to it even though the door is always open. It is her safety zone. If you reach down to touch her she pees out of fear to this day so I decided to go outside with her to pet her and that works great.

When she wants to get attention or go outside I go with her and pet her as she pees and then I play with her outside. Outside of the pee problem she is a very happy dog and will choose her time to get attention like coming to sit in my chair with me .

I also have a dobie that was severely abused and now has cancer that I have had for 8 years and neither one of them tell you when they want to go potty except to stand a look at you and go to the door. Pay attention to her actions and you can tell what she is telling you. My husband misses it because he won't pay attention when they go to the door and back to tell him.

It also sounds like the boy you now have living with you is doing something to her when no one is looking and you may have to make a choice between the dog and the boy.