Power of Attorney and Parent in Nursing Home

I have power of attorney for my father. He has POA for my mother. He has not been declared incompetent but should be. They are both in a nursing home. He wishes to check himself and my mother out and return home. They both have major health problems and are almost blind. They would not have the care they need at home. The nursing home tells me he can check out. How can I stop him from checking themselves out of the nursing home?

By Robert Jr

I'm sorry you're dealing with such a tough situation, Robert. And I certainly hope the voice of reason will prevail. Can you talk to your folks and help them understand the wisdom of not going home? Point out the care they'll need and the likely cost of hiring someone? Presuming you can't be there 24 / 7. Is the place they're in so bad that they really want to leave? Are there other options, locally?

One of my friends' parents are in a similar situation in that they need a fair amount of care but are very averse to moving into a home. They've formed a joint venture agreement with their neighbours to hire someone to provide nursing and meals: 4 homes, I think, sharing the cost of hiring one care-giver. Would something like that work for your parents?

Bottom line, what I'm really trying to persuade you not to do is make it a legal battle.

Best of luck,
Rose Anne

If this move would truly present a problem for their care and well being, you may have to take legal action.
Does your mother and father have regular medical care where they now live? Have you discussed this move with their doctor?

This may be your only recourse but only you can determine your next move.