General AdviceConsumer Advice

Problems Floors and Walls in New Home

I had my home built 3yrs ago and have numerous problems with my laminate floors and my walls. The floor in the dining room, that is over the basement constantly gets these white dots that look like paint specks, but it is not and they are extremely hard to remove and keep coming back. The rest of the laminate floors from the front hall to my living room have a different problem. Everyday I find these little black pebble looking things. They are hard just like a pebble. Even after I get done sweeping them, they eventually come back when I steam mop them, etc.

The walls, especially in the 3 bathrooms are now kind of pitted. It looks as if they were painted over a piece of sandpaper. It has tiny little raised bumps and everyday it is getting worse. Everyday even in the deep winter the outside of my house in the front has tiny, size of the head of a pin looking things. The strangest of all, is that my concrete stoop constantly gets these round wet/oily stains even in the winter. They were here again today; it is only 17 degrees here. The back deck gets the same stains as the front.

Please if anyone can give me some advice or direct me down the right path I certainly would appreciate it as I can not even get the builder to return my call or even answer the phone! I am starting to think that either the materials he used to build the house were no good or the fill he brought in after blasting the land several times. He also left all the wood to build the house outside on the land for months on end with no covering during late summer until February (snow storms). Did I mention I live in New Hampshire were the winters are very snowy. Please help!

By Doreen E.

These are very strange occurrences. You need to call in someone who has some expertise with building materials and methods. I am wondering if these bumps are caused by moisture working its way through the paint and the laminate, although I am just brainstorming a guess. I have no actual expertise. You need to get someone in to look at these things.

You should not be using a steam mop on laminate floors. The steam is damaging the finish on the laminate. My husband has been in the flooring business for over 40 years and he said that this is your main problem. Good Luck!