Cleaning and Restoring Terrazzo Floors

Category Flooring
Terrazzo floors are a beautiful and extremely durable flooring option. Unless it is very badly damaged, a terrazzo floor can usually be cleaned and refinished to look like new again. This is a guide about cleaning and restoring terrazzo floors.

I have terrazzo floors and I need to cover them. My landlord refuses to let me use anything that will be permanent. I was thinking of just using peel and stick tiles and am not sure if they would be able to be removed easily. Any advice?

By Nicole from FL

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

Since it's not your property (and if you damage the terrazzo it will cost you 'a lot' of money to repair or replace) why don't you simply put down large area rugs that you can take with you when you move? You can also find really inexpensive carpet remnants cut to fit and have the edges bound.

Best Answer

Why do you need to cover up terrazzo flooring? The whole point of it is that is serviceable and easily cleaned with a classic look. If you must cover, use rugs. If it is a kitchen or someplace where rugs are not appropriate, learn to love the terrazzo.

Best Answer

The terrazzo is in bad shape. House was empty for 10 years with carpet over it, huge stains everywhere that can not be removed, floor always looks dirty. Think we are going to go with laminate to cover, no adhesive and can be inexpensive. Thanks for the advice.

How do you clean terrazzo flooring after removing vinyl tile?

By Tubbygirl from Pompano Beach, FL

Answers

Best Answer

You are going to have to have it done by a professional, I think. We live in FL and did the same thing. The pros have a diamond grinder to polish the floors and get the glue off. It's costly, but I don't know of any other way.

Can ceramic tiles be laid over terrazzo flooring?

Bernard from Port Charlotte Fl

Answers

Best Answer

I wouldn't recommend it. For one thing, your floor will be higher. And should the terazzo start to break down, it will cause the ceramic tile to crack.

How can a homeowner restore terrazzo floors without hiring a professional?

By Cindy