Product Recall Advice

Category Miscellaneous
When you learn that a product you have purchased has been recalled, it is important to follow the manufacturer's advice. Take care when buying new or used items as they may have been recalled.

Debra Frick

With all the recalls on toys and with the toy companies now trying to scramble to fill the shelves of stores with lead free toys, maybe this is the time to re-think what you want Santa to bring your kids. Also with this being a year that is certainly going to be hard on all of us financially with the cost of gasoline going through the roof and people wondering how they are going to heat their homes, the thought of Christmas can be daunting.

As some of you know I work in a school cafeteria and also as a crossing guard for my local school district. I hear what the children talk about, and I believe that most of their creative energies are not being focused. They talk about things they would like to make or things they would like to build. Why not make this a creative Christmas?

So what kind of things can you buy this Christmas that will be safe? Things like artist sets and board games never go out of style. Books and puzzles have not yet been put on the recall list yet so these are a safe bet. Balls of all kinds, sporting equipment, computer games and electronics are a safe bet. But be careful with the ipod, I heard on CNN that the earplugs for the Ipod are made with a plastic that can be toxic, who would of thunk?

Here are some suggestions on common sense things we can do to make this a safe Christmas for our kids. Here on Thrifty Fun, we have posted a lot of the recalls of toys. Why not make a list and take it with you when you are shopping? Stores, as hard as they may try, are having a terrible time keeping up with all of the recalls and this will just make it safer for everyone. You can also try not to buy anything with the "Made in China" label but that may or may not keep your kids safe because the authorities estimate that 80% of all toys sold here in the United States are made in China.

It might be safer to think of alternatives for the store bought toys that we buy for our kids every Christmas. This time of year there will be a lot of Craft Fairs where you can shop and at least here in Colorado we have stores that sell locally made toys and gifts. Handmade wooden puzzles and blocks and other wooden toys can be found here, Hand-made dolls and games also. Check this out you may find just the right toy for your child and gifts for others on your list.

Here is a list for some of the things that you could put together for your kids. Put into a fancy basket or great tin and these would make a great gift.

Kits

Toys You Can Make Yourself

Please all of you have a wonderful and magical Christmas!

I saw someone put out this baby gate and asked if I could have it. I had trouble adjusting it to fit my door. The manual online didn't seem to help, so I called the Fisher Price customer service. It turned out that there was a recall on some of the gates because of a high lead count on one of the stickers.

Check Used Goods for Recalls - plastic baby gate

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Product Recalls MiscellaneousNovember 28, 2019
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-16 11:22:55 in 670 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️