Protecting Furniture During a Move

Avoiding dings and damage is the goal when moving your household furnishings. This guide is about protecting furniture during a move.

I'd like to hear your moving disasters/mistakes. We're packing and loading ourselves and moving 300+ miles with a U-Haul truck. I've been viewing different videos on U-Tube showing packing and most are selling boxes, etc.

I feel confident in the way I've packed dishes and small kitchen appliances, but wonder about my round dining room table and chairs (no glass), 52 inch flat screen TV, 2 recliners, etc. These videos show wrapping chairs completely. Packing things in the original boxes; who keeps those things anyway? I'm renting a couple dozen moving pads from U-Haul. I was told they are the size of a twin sized bed. I'll move my computer, monitor, and printer in my car. Just would like your thoughts, experiences, mistakes, etc.

By tx.Betty from Ft. Worth, TX

Answers

Remove the table legs and pack the screws and other hardware in a zipper bag you can then tape to the underside of the table top. Wrap the table and legs separately with blankets, sheets, and comforters.

Use other household linens to wrap furniture, and yes, wrapping protective anything around the entire chair is the way to get that chair to the new dining room without travel scratches:)

Splash out and buy the U-Haul TC moving box, be sure to wrap several layers of bubble pack around the entire screen area before placing in the box.

Pack a box or suitcase with the absolute 'must-haves' for the first few days in the new home. Things like tea and/or coffee maker and supplies, any medications, changes of clothing, cleaning supplies for the things the cleaners missed (or plain didn't bother with), telephone book and numbers of old utilities, etc. Carry this in the car with you, trust me, it's almost as important as the computer:) If you have several family members, organise a bag or box for each member and make sure those are the last things in the car so those will be the first things out of the car at the new place. Don't put those things in the van because even in a self move there is a very real chance of being separated from the van during the move (over the years of moving the kids and I've been separated from the van three times, always for unexpected van breakdowns and a husband who said 'You go on and when the van is fixed I'll catch up...')

Number all of your boxes on all four sides (top and bottom too if you think your 'helpers' are going to be less than careful with how they stack things when unpacking the van) and then list the contents according to the box number so that when you start unpacking you can prioritise, and so that you can find things faster..."Mom! Where's my backpack/school clothes/homework/favourite plaything?!" "Honey, where's my special fishing tackle/favourite coffee mug/work clothes?" "Blimey, where did I put the bathroom stuff?"

The above are the things that made moving and getting settled in the new place SO much easier during my former husband and my lives during his US government contractor career. I live in the UK now but used a version of the above when I remarried and moved over.

Best wishes on the move and your new home!