PruningGardening

Pruning an Indoor Avocado Tree

I have been told to cut the plant after it's about 12" tall down to 6" to make it fuller. Is this a good idea?

Best Answer

That is generally a good thing to do to plants to make sure that they grow fuller. If they are allowed to grow tall, all the leaves gather at the top, because they're essentially looking for sunlight, and the stem/stalk/trunk is left empty. Think about what a forest looks like.

I also remember from my days living in pacific climates that avocado fruit does not do well when the trees are let to grow untrimmed. The fruit becomes small and brittle. So this makes sense to me.

Best Answer

If plants are not pruned,'they grow long and spindly. Pruning also encourages the plant to use its energy to make fruit