Puffed Rice (Ampao)
One famous delicacy in some provinces here in the Philippines is the so called "ampao" or puffed rice. I don't know how this is being made into a snack bar but I do have an idea how to simply cook it. Just as easy as 1,2,3 you can have an instant snack made out of leftover steamed rice; just leftovers. So as I always say, at home nothing is wasted.
- steamed rice
- water (just enough amount for washing)
- refined sugar
- oil (for cooking)
- Let's start with the steamed rice. First, soak it in water for a few minutes to soften (leftover rice gets hard over time). Use clean hands to massage the rice to break it apart.
- Now, drain the rice and make sure you remove all the water in it. Spread it into a large and wide serving tray.
- Let it dry and sit under the sun for a few hours or until rice becomes brittle.
- Gather and transfer in a container.
- When the drying process is done you can start cooking the rice in a preheated oil.
- Fry it until it puffs or turns light brown and crisp.
- Remove excess oil then sprinkle with sugar.
- Mix puffed rice and sugar then it's ready to serve.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!