Purchasing a Taller Toilet

Taller Toilet
Your height or physical limitations may cause you to consider purchasing a taller toilet. This is a guide about purchasing a taller toilet.

I'm getting ready to replace two toilets in my home and, being a senior, am considering a taller toilet. My current ones are 15 inches from the floor to the rim and it's uncomfortable getting up. The toilets I'm considering buying are 16.5 inches from floor to rim. One can buy toilets at the home improvement stores as high as 19 inches. I don't want one that high, but wondering if going from 15 inches to 16.5 will make all that much different on my knees. Any of my Thriftyfun senior friends have toilets 16.5 inches and how do you like it?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Best Answer

Hubby and I are 51 and not in the best of health. We went from a very low (probably 15-16 inch) dark grey toilet that I loved because it matched the tub. I was putting off replacement because a new custom color one was very $$$. I finally gave in and we bought a 19 inch tall white one from Lowe's. We love it. It's so much easier to stand up from.

Best Answer

I'm not sure of the height, but there are "chair height" toilets available. They're also called "comfort height". I've been disabled for several years, and always find the handicapped toilets in public buildings a blessing. After my hip replacement surgery in 2010, I was sent home with a portable folding commode, which was placed over my regular toilet, and I've been using it ever since. I just measured the seat height from the floor, and it's 20.5 inches. It's perfect for me, and I'm 5'3". Perhaps you should try out different heights at a store showroom to see what height feels right for you.

Several years ago I had my bathroom modified into a handicapped accessible one. Had the tub/shower combination removed and a walk in shower installed and a taller toilet. I just measured my toilet and it is a little over 17 inches. There are times I wish it was taller, but not too often. If you get the 16.5 inch toilet and decide you would like it to be taller you could buy one of those toilet risers that you can set on the seat and they clamp on some way.

I am almost 74 years old. When they redid my shower they put a large heavy duty grab bar on the back wall and before it was remodeled there was a small grab bar on the walls on each end of the tub. The one small grab bar is also next to the toilet which does help. Because of income I qualified to have a non-profit do the remodeling for me.

I am almost 74 and about 10 years ago I had my bathroom modified into what is considered a handicapped accessible one because it was getting too hard for me to step in and out of the tub to take a shower. I just measured my toilet and it is a little over 17 inches tall. There are occasional times that I wish it was taller. They also took out my tub/shower combination and put in a walk in shower that is the same length as the tub was, which works real good with a shower bench. When they did the shower they put in a large heavy duty grab bar on the back wall and there always was smaller grab bars on the walls at each end of the tub. One of those smaller grab bars is also close to the toilet which sometimes comes in handy too. I should also say I am about 5'3". One thing to take into consideration is if you have small kids that visit and are capable of going potty by themselves if your toilet is too tall they might not be able to manage. I have a three year old great grandson that hasn't been here since he started going potty and I am wondering about my situation when he does come to visit. If you do buy the 16.5 inch toilet and you decide you would like a taller one you could buy one of those plastic stool risers that clamp onto the seat somehow. I'm not sure, but I think they come in different heights.