Silver Post Medal for All Time! 355 Posts
July 6, 2021
I recently saw a recipe using a combination of squashes, zucchini, summer squash and eggplant and gave it my own twist! It is vegetarian and came out yummy and it was so easy!
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 medium summer squash
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 package sliced provolone cheese (12 slices) or deli
- 1 package finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 qt of your favorite jar sauce or make your own
- A few fresh basil leaves
- A few wooden skewers
- A 9x9 inch glass baking dish
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F. Pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan
- Slice thin all the zucchini, the yellow squash, and peel and thin slice the eggplant. Cut each slice of provolone in half.
- Take a skewer, put a slice of zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, folded provolone. Then repeat about 3 times on each skewer.
- When you get a skewer done, place it in the baking dish. Its ok if the skewer overlaps the pan a bit.
- The pan can hold 4 skewers.
- When the pan is full, tear up the fresh basil over the skewers. Then pour some sauce over each skewer. Add about 1/2 cup of water over it.
- Cover tightly with heavy duty foil. Cook for 40 minutes. After 30 minutes, pull out of the oven, lift foil, carefully pull the skewers out. Now they will cook better in the sauce. Put foil back and in oven
- When it has been 40 minutes, remove foil, add as much shredded mozzarella to the top, back in the oven for 5 minutes. Let it set for 5 minutes. Lift with a spatula!
This can also be done on the grill by wrapping up the skewers, cook them without the sauce and add sauce after.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.