PerennialsGardening

Reblooming Iris Only Bloomed Once

Category Perennials

I have several reblooming iris plants and they bloom in the spring, but only once. Any thoughts?

By Mary

For many decades, I've had iris and they only bloomed once! This was normal for them. All of them were perennial and every year, the bearded purple, dwarf purple and lemon yellow grew fine. I never even guessed that there was a way for them to re-bloom in the same growing season! Someone please tell me more about this possibility!

Multiple blooms from iris depends on where you are located. I love the flowers but when I was living in the American Deep South I didn't even try-too warm and the plants don't get enough chilling hours to encourage the second and third blooms.

I think to get the multiple blooms on iris, the plant needs to be planted where there are extended periods of frozen ground, apparently lifting them and storing in the crisper drawer of the fridge doesn't work reliably-the bulb has to stay in the ground.

And that's the extent of my iris knowledge. Now, day-lilies, those I can tell you all about, LOL!

A good source of information on any plant is the local extension service in your area. Google the name of your local university and the words cooperative extension service to find your local extension website pages-a source of a wealth of free information geared specifically to your gardening area.

Auburn, there are reblooming iris. They have been out for several years. I think they got more hype than what they deserved. I didn't have any luck with them either. Maybe someone else has had better luck. I am in zone 5...plenty cold here.