Iris Photos

Category Garden
The iris is found in a wide variety of colors and configurations, making them a popular subject of garden photos. This page contains iris photos.

I was wondering the name of this flower. Thanks in advance.

Libby from Canada

Answers

It looks to me like it might be some type of bearded iris. I don't know the particular variety.

Susan from ThriftyFun

By Rita (Guest Post)

Libby, that flower is a Lavender Iris.

Rita

By Sam (Guest Post)

Do you know what type of flower this is. The leaves to the right are from a different plant (day lilly).

Thanks,

Editor's Note: It looks like a lily of the valley. They flower for a short time, then will come back year after year. They have a very sweet scent.

By stephanie (Guest Post)

It actually looks like a Lilly of the Valley to me?

By joyce (Guest Post)

This is an bearded Iris Bearded iris are available in a wide variety of flower colors, including pink, blue, red, yellow, and purple. They bloom in early summer, with some varieties reblooming later in the summer. They grow from 8 inches to 4 feet tall, depending on variety.

The flowers are lovely in bouquets, and the foliage remains attractive even after flowers have faded. Unfortunately, the plants are susceptible to borers, so check the rhizomes (fleshy roots) yearly for holes, discarding any infested ones

If left alone they will multiply and fill an entire area in

By maria (Guest Post)

Iris

By Denise (Guest Post)

The original picture in the posting looks like a bearded iris. I believe the second picture posted is the Lilly of the Valley.

By Rasta (Guest Post)

The lavendar flower is an iris. I have lots of them in my garden.

The one with the white flowers is Lily of the Valley. For sure on both. Check the internet and you will see.

By Millicent Owen (Guest Post)

It looks like an Iris to me

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
There is nothing like the beauty of springtime. So many choices for gardens, beautiful colors, and something fun to do as a family. I love when you walk outside after it rains, and find rain drops on flowers. The air smells so fresh.

Photo Location
Tacoma, Washington

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Indulge me if you will. Listen to a minute of Marty Robbins singing 'Streets Of Laredo'.

Now, listen to a minute of James Galway playing 'Endearing Young Charms'

Did you find many similarities? I'm sure you did. As with most all songs, for each one, there is another that sounds similar. Only rarely will you hear a song so unique, there is no other that sounds even remotely similar.

The same holds true for flowers. When you think of it, appearance wise, just how far is a dahlia from a chrysanthemum? Yet, there are a few flowers for which there is no comparison. The iris is such a flower.

With it's three upright petals called 'standards' and it's three downward petals called 'falls', it has an appearance unlike any other flower. Couple this unique arrangement of petals with the fact that the iris is available in most any color and combination of colors found in the rainbow, and you have my reasons for believing the iris to be the most beautiful flower in the world.

Many thanks to my sister who gave me the pictured iris plant.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Photo Description
As this iris was given to me, I don't know its name. On its label, I've written 'Strong Yellow'. This is the first time I've really captured its intense color. I've done nothing to enhance that color.

Betty, a TF member with the handle 'cybergrannie99', tells me her favorite color is yellow. So this iris is for her. I think it's about all the yellow she'll be able to handle in one sitting.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

It was in design for a few years. I learned a whole new language. Those 'darling' designers used a lot of adjectives that to me, had little meaning.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

This image was taken by my daughter. She has a short walk from a parking garage to her place of employment so she passes the First Presbyterian Church everyday.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Iris in all its beauty!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

You won't find an iris more plain or simple than this. It was about the only one to adorn the flower beds around 1900, before intensive cross breeding began.

I still grow it. It's the first of all my iris to bloom, sort of a harbinger of what's to come.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

My cousin sent me this bearded iris from Arkansas last year. I put it in a pot so I would remember where it was. This is the first bloom, and the color is so rich. It reminds me of orange sherbet.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 10

My iris are beginning to bloom. I hope to be able to share some nice pictures with you. I'll start with this early bloomer. I've had it for years. Over time, I've forgotten its name. With or without a name, it's still rather impressive, don't you think?

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I thought I might have lost this iris during a time when I was moving them to a location where the rhizomes would get more sun. I was happily surprised today to find I had not. I don't know it's name. I do know it is the most intense yellow iris I have ever seen.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I had planted my irises a few years ago. They have really taken off well and are beautiful this year. They are native around here and grow very well in our climate.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Many of you will be familiar with this flower. In the last century it adorned many flower beds and front lawns. If it has a registered name, I don't know what it is. Most home growers knew the flower by it's very common name, 'Flags'.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

One of the first flowers that blooms in my garden each spring. The color never fails to take my breath away.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Congratulations on this first issue of the gardening newsletter Susan. I hope it will be as successful as your others. (I'm sure it will). Here is a picture of some flowers in my gardens.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Photo was taken of some of the iris in my memory garden for my late husband and my little grandson. I love the color. Since moving to the city, I miss that garden very much.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

This is an iris that lives in my Mom's garden. They surprise me every year with how beautiful they can be. Sadly they only last a couple weeks in spring, so I only have a limited amount of time to get all my iris pictures for the year.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3
Load More