Growing Crocosmia

Crocosmia or montbretia is a perennial flower in the Iris family, usually with red or orange flowers. They are indigenous to Africa but can be grown worldwide. A common garden variety is known as "Lucifer"

2 Questions

I would appreciate any help with identifying this plant in a friend's garden. Its flower is a beautiful surprise, she did not plant it, Mother Nature did.

I only have the photo, I don't know how tall it is or anything like that. My friend sent the photo to me, hoping I can help. She loves her flower garden, she is very curious about her lovely addition. Her flower garden is beautiful, picture-perfect! And this new addition fit in perfectly!

She is having surgery today to remove a tumor on a kidney. It would be a nice surprise for her to know the name of this flower. If this helps, she lives in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania.

Thank for your help and information. A prayer for her would be appreciated, too.

Answers

Best Answer

This is a really nice hummingbird plant here in Florida and we call it the lucifer plant. But I guess the real name is crocosmia lucifer - maybe the bright fiery red is the reason. I do not know how it would have just appeared in her garden (since it is corm) unless it was in some other plant she planted.
It generally only grows year round in zones through 9 but I think it will return after after a freeze if it has mulch to protect it.

Here is a link to instructions on care.

www.gardenia.net/.../crocosmia-lucifer

Answer this Question

Can someone tell me what type of flower this is?

Thanks for your help.

Answers

These are red wildflowers. At first, I thought they were in the Cypress family of flowers because of the way they grow. They also grow very similar to red bird of paradise flowers which there are many varieties of these.

These are from the Gladiolus family- Wild Gladiolus. Here is some info- en.wikipedia.org/.../gladiolus

They look to me like they are in the lily family (via the flowers and the leaves), which has so many varieties.

Where are you located? That may help. Here in PA all of our lilies are in full bloom and lovely this time of year!

I did see something similar at a garden center a couple of weeks ago but I do not remember the name.
It did look like this one - Crocosmia Lucifer - or a variety but not sure that was the name on the container.

Here are some pictures:

www.sandhillnursery.ca/.../bugleweed-ajuga-black-scallop-bjrhg...

www.easytogrowbulbs.com/.../crocosmia-jochem?variant=31581679692

professional.devroomen.com/.../

pallensmith.com/.../

You can always ask your county extension agent as they have information on what is growing in your area.

ask.extension.org/ask

Answer this Question
Home and Garden GardeningFebruary 3, 2021
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Crocosmia.html