Recipe Ideas That are Easy to Transport

Category Meal Planning
This is a guide about recipe ideas that are easy to transport. When attending a potluck or contributing to a family dinner, you want to make a dish that will maintain its flavor and consistency.

This is a request from Arlene from PA. (not Hurricane Arlene) lol.
I would like to have recipes for a full meal for a family of four that can be prepared and delivered to their home when someone is in the hospital and they need help with food. I need something reasonably priced, and easy to prepare and deliver. Thanks for all the good hints on here. I really enjoy all the input.

I would like several ideas of meals to prepare for invalids and people who are sick and cannot prepare their own meals. Thank you very much.

Arlene

Answers

Casseroles are easy to transport and reasonably priced. I have one that my 3 kids love. Ingredients are 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cornmeal, 3 cans chicken broth, 1 large onion (optional). First prepare cornmeal according to whatever way it says to make cornbread on the bag. You want to make enough for about 16 servings. While that is baking pour 2 cans broth into a large pot, add water,and boil chicken whole. Dice the onion. Shred ckn when done (save broth),and crumble cornbread. Mix ckn, cornbread, onion, and can of broth. Pour into casserole dish. If it is still a bit dry add enough broth from ckn pot to make it moist. Cook in oven for 20 min. on 375. It's a meal by itself or you can add veggies on the side.

This isn't a recipe but a suggestion. I have been blessed with meals throughout the years and have found a few things that were really appreciated. Casseroles are fine. Just be sure to include a bag of prewashed salad, a baggie of chesse, croutons, etc and a bottle of salad dressing. Sliced, buttered bread ready for the oven is nice. You could include a jug of tea or a 2L soft drink. Brownies or cookies are a nice touch too. My point is, it's really nice when the ENTIRE meal is provided. Between newborns and a traveling husband, and later a car accident that left 3 family members with multiple broken bones and a wheel chair, if everything was not provided I was in no position to pick up the things to round out the meal. I know whoever you plan to provide a meal for will really enjoy your thoughtfulness.

Crockpot pizza is a good meal for teenagers that are at home, add a salad and you're set! You could also cook a roast and shred it up and put bbq sauce in, stir. Take over the shredded roast and some buns and chips. Meals done!

Crockpot pizza
1 1/2 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
16 oz (or more) shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 chopped onion
1 pkg. sliced pepperoni
2/3 box rigatoni noodles, cooked
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms
2 jars pizza sauce
Alternate layers in crockpot as follows: hamburger, noodles, cheese, soup, mushrooms, onions, sauce and pepperoni. Heat 4 hours on low in crockpot

My friend baked a ham and took ham slices, cheese slices, and a loaf of bread to an elderly neighbor when his wife passed away. She said he really appreciated it. She said she's done that since then again for him, just to know he's eating. As she knows women will come near fixing something for them to eat, than men will.

I know my Mom takes food over to someone's home who's recently passed on, for the family. She sometimes takes sliced coldcuts & cheeses, maybe a couple styles of bakery rolls, or a veggie tray or fruit tray, 2 Liter drinks, bags of chips & dip or maybe some cookies. She takes several items.

My husband & I had an elderly friend, who's wife had passed on. We'd take him things like sliced meatloaf, fried chicken, cups of pudding (he liked sweets). I hope this helps, for once I'm kinda blank. Sorry, I'm not more help.