AdviceRecipes

Recipe for Cucumbers in Vinegar

I need a recipe for cukes and vinegar. Thanks.

By Sherry from Valdosta, GA

I assume you mean fresh cucumbers to eat soon after preparing. This is the way I fix them, and my family has enjoyed them for over 50 years. Make a solution of water and vinegar to suit your taste. I don't measure, but it would probably be 1/4 cup white vinegar to a quart of water. I just do a taste test until it is strong enough with vinegar to suit me. Then I put in salt and pepper, with the same taste test. I slice up the cucumbers to the thickness I like (I like mine extra thin) and put them in the vinegar/water mixture. I also like to put in some thin sliced onions-these are optional.

Some people like to set the bowl on the table and eat immediately. I prefer to have them in the fridge for about 24 hours. They will keep for several days if you have leftovers. In fact, I usually just add to mine to have ready for the next meal. You can 'add too' a few times and then will notice the taste becomes rather bland. Just start over with another batch, salvaging the leftovers to put into the new batch. Just be sure to have enough liquid to cover the cukes.
Enjoy.

I make them like jsham only I use a much stronger ratio of vinegar to water. Probably like 1/2 and 1/2. Depending on the amount of cukes you do, I also add sugar to my brine. It probably would be healthier not to but this is the way my mother always made them and so do I.

Ingredients
4 cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon dried dill, or to taste
Directions:
Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl. Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions. Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.

From Jane & Tricia
The best & easiest Refrigerator Cucumbers

6 thinly sliced cucumbers, do not peel
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar ( white is fine )
1 cup sliced onion or more
1 teaspoon celery seed

Cover and put in refrigerator for 24 hours
before using.
Will keep for several months
in refrigerator

The first time I made these I used 4 English style cucumbers and doubled the amounts of the rest of the ingredients. That filled the huge glass recycled Farmers pickle jar from Costco.
Great Granny Vi