Recipes Using Refrigerated Pie Crusts

Category Pie Crust
Besides putting together a quick savory or sweet pie, this dough can be used in other ways. This page includes recipes using refrigerated pie crusts.

Cinnamon Sugar Cookies

I love to purchase the Pillsbury refrigerated crusts when they are on sale. They are also a great price if I have a coupon. You can use the crusts to make yummy shaped cinnamon-sugar cookies. Sprinkle the cutouts with the sugar and cinnamon mixture to taste, then bake on a ungreased cookie sheet at 350 F until light brown, about 10 to 12 mins.

Strawberry Shortcake

Or use the crusts to make a great strawberry shortcake. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Unroll the pie crusts and place them on a ungreased baking sheet. Place one egg in a bowl and whisk it well. Brush the crust lightly with the egg, and sprinkle with a teaspoon of sugar. Use your pizza cutter and cut the pie crust into eight wedges on the pan so they will not stick together when baking. Bake uncovered for 10 to 13 mins, until lightly browned. Remove from oven, cool on rack for 5 to 10 mins., or until ready to serve.

When ready to serve, place a wedge on a serving plate, spoon about half a cup strawberries and juice on top. Cover with whipped cream or light cool whip. Top with another crust wedge. Spoon more strawberries and juice over each serving. Top with more whip cream and enjoy!

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Has anyone ever used Pillsbury Pie Crust that you get in the refrigerator section for apple dumplings or turnovers?

Vicky from Canadensis, PA

Answers

Works just fine for turnovers anyway, don't know about dumplings.

Have used this and store brand for many shapes of desserts. Works great. What I found was I rolled it a little thinner.

I used crescent rolls, unrolled and wrapped on apple quarters. I put them all in a dish, poured an orange juice syrup over them, and baked. People raved!

Oh yes I did and it was great just cut the size you need and bake as usually. Used it for pies and just made and apple pie that was out of this world. When I make home made it is horrible but the premades are great and if you get the coupons that says buy two save one dollar that is good too. Special when they are on sale.

I would think that the pie crust would not work as the dumpling, when done, should be a bit more puffy. Maybe the biscuits, cut smaller would work.

I remember my mom using canned bisquits for dumplings, they were a bit dry but it worked.

I would think the piecrust would be too tender and cook apart. I use bisquit and cut them into quarters for dumplings. Some people use tortillas and just cut them in squares or strips and drop them in the boiling chicken broth.

Well I misread that one didn't I. You are not talking about dumplings in the sense of Southern chicken and dumplings but the Yankee type of Apple dumpling baked and cooked with a sauce aren't you. I don't know why it would not work. After all, it is pie curst you make to use on this dessert. I would just wrap it around pieces though and not the whole apple. Then pour the sauce over and bake.