Recipes Using White Beans

Category Vegetables
White Beans in Small Green Crock
Beans are a great source of protein and can be served at any meal of the day. This page contains recipes using white beans.

No one can cook beans like my hubby! Great northerns are my fave.

• 1 pkg. jowl bacon*
  • 1 lb. Great Northern beans
  • 4 - 6 quarts water
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2-3 Tbsp. salt (can use garlic or seasoned salt, if desired)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp each rosemary, marjoram, any other savory spices you like
  • 1/2 Tbsp pepper (black, white, or red, according to your preference)

*You may use 1 pkg. smoked turkey tails or omit meat for a vegetarian recipe. You just won't get the same flavor.

Directions:

Fill a six-quart pot with water, to about 1 1/2 or 2 inches from top (will cook down). Drop in jowl bacon, cut into chunks, if you prefer.

Filter beans through your hand, checking for stray stones and other small debris (yes, it happens!). Simmer on medium-low heat for approx 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spices to taste.

Simmer an additional 3 or 4 hours, until beans are well done and flavors are "married."

Serve with cornbread or bread and butter, if desired.

Servings: 5-6
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 4 Hours

Source: My husband, the country-cooking king!

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

This recipe makes a great sauce for pasta or can be served as a bean stew. It is quick and easy to make.

Directions:

Brown the sausage or ground turkey. If using ground turkey, I find that I need to add one to two tablespoons of olive oil when browning the meat. Add chopped onion and continue cooking until the onion is soft and translucent. At this point you may add the optional extra garlic.

Add the white beans and canned tomatoes (including liquid). I also add the oregano at this point.

Cover and simmer on low for 30 to 45 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. I cook my stew/sauce in a cast iron pot.

Now it is ready to serve over pasta or alone as stew, with a green salad and some crusty bread to finish the meal.

This sauce improves with time so it is also great as leftovers the next day.

Servings: 8 - 10
Time:15 Minutes Preparation Time
30 - 45 Minutes Cooking Time

By Barbara from Port Orchard, WA

Saute garlic in oil until brown. Add beans, broth, tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 20-30 minutes. In separate pan, cook pasta according to directions on package.

This main dish soup, besides being delicious, is quick, and easy to make.

Ingredients

• 2 cups dry great northern or navy beans
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • Ad

• 1 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 2 Tbsp. margarine or meat fat drippings
  • fried bacon (several slices, chopped)

Directions

Wash and drain beans. Put beans and water in large pan and heat to boiling. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Add salt. Cover and boil gently about 1 1/2 hours until beans are tender. Add rest of ingredients and more water, if needed for cooking. Stir gently to mix. Cover and boil gently about 1 hour to blend flavors. Uncover toward end of cooking, if needed, to thicken liquid.

By Robin from Washington, IA

In a large saucepan, heat oil until hot. Add celery, onion and carrots; cook stirring occasionally, until celery is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. In the container of blender, place 1 can white kidney beans; puree until smooth.

Excellent recipe and easy to do, was given to me by my sister in law a few years ago. My kids love it, which is always a plus. I make this and have garlic bread.

White Chili

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Saute first 3 ingredients in oil in saucepan until tender. Add undrained beans and chicken broth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Soak beans or peas overnight. Drain and put in a pan of cold water with ham bone and cook 2 hours until beans are soft. Then add desired amount of cut raw potatoes and 2 small onions cut.

Soak beans over night in water. Saute diced onions in soup pot with olive oil. Drain beans, add to soup pot. Add water to cover, cook beans until done. Once the beans are done, add the chopped swiss chard and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes.

I am looking for a bean and bacon soup recipe that tastes like Campbell's. Just asking for it makes me hungry. Thanks.

By Annette from Cocoa Beach, FL

Hi, I just posted this recipe recently and I was trying to recreate Campbell's Bean With Bacon Soup. I think that the longer you cook it down, the closer it will be to the canned soup texture.

http://www.thri  4932681.tip.html

Let us know what you think!

I've never made Campbell's bean with bacon cause mine is so good. You can make this with ham or bacon, I usually use bacon cause I never have the ham when I have the urge to make beans. I use small white beans, not great northern for every 2lbs of beans, I use 1lb of bacon. I cut the slices of bacon cross wise, so you end up with these small pieces of bacon. I half fry the bacon, to get rid of some of the fat, which I happen to like in the bean soup. I do the pre-cooking of the bacon in the same pan I'm going to cook the soup in. Add salt, a little pepper & onions. You can add other stuff, but this is the way I was brought up to make it & it's delicious. Bring to a boil & simmer for about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Keep the beans covered with liquid. Check it often. I keep a tea kettle with simmering water to add, then you won't have to return to the simmer.

I like it more like soup, as opposed to thicker stuff. At 2-1/2hrs, it will probably be done, the beans will be soft.Check at 1-1/2 hours for taste, you may need more salt, w/o salt, it won't taste very good. Be sure to sort & wash the beans off first with clean fresh water. There will be dirt. Many people say to soak the beans over-night, but I never have & it always tastes great & is good winter food. Also, when I pre-cook the bacon, do it slowly & break apart the pieces. Don't brown it, just a little cooked. Personally the fat makes it taste so good. All the fat free stuff is for the birds.

I recently bought a giant can of Campbell's Bean and Bacon. My very favorite. I copied this recipe, and will follow this subject carefully. Nummy. Guess what I am having for lunch? Ha! Phyllis

I found this really cool website that offers recipes from restaurants, companies and hard to find recipes and other things.

phaedrus AT hungrybrowser.com He found a cookie for me. I literally had about four pieces of information to give him, and I can't believe it, but he found it. Hope you find your soup!