OtherRepair

Recovering or Repairing the Interior Roof of a Van

I bought a 95 Aerostar van to convert to an RV. The interior roof is cracked and the cover is gone. Does anyone out there know how to paint, or fill in the cracks or?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anonymous

This video shows you how to fix it with carpet tape: https://www.you  ch?v=xAGWPY2Ezp0

That gave me some cool ideas. Thanks!!

I know this sounds crazy but you can fill plastic cracks with baking soda and superglue mixed together. Sand down after dry.

Wow. Whodathunkit? Thanks, I will give it a try!!

Have you checked with junk yards to see about getting a new roof off a junked van?

I am not sure. It's worth a shot but the liner might be hard to get off. I think they are glued or one molded piece. But, it gives me another avenue to explore. Thanks!

Sandi, do you plan on taking a trip??? Sounds nice anyway and I believe a converted van is a lot more economical to operate and maintain that any size RV - so your project sounds good to me.

Looking at your photos, I'm not sure just fixing the cracks will solve this problem. Have you (or can you?) take it to a repair shop and see what they say? Do you have any mechanic friends that might offer some free advice? The roof needs insulation and that may be part of what you are seeing in your roof top.

Maybe you could get an estimate on replacing the roof cover so you will know if you have to save up money (think Thriftfun posts) for a future day.

Hope you can find an economical way to do this.

Betty

Thanks Betty: I am pretty sure I would not be able to afford it. It was 100.00 just to dry out the carpeting. That said, the insulation is what you see so I wouldn't take it out, just wondering what my creative and thrifty fun folks came up with to cover it. I know I am poor but proud so this is where the "proud" comes in.

Sandi

I'm wondering if the stuff they repair boats with would work on your roof. I would visit a marine shop and ask.

Have you thought of using some sort of Bondo to cover the cracks or even the roof? My son has used this to repair all sorts of things and it holds up well.

Anyway - just a thought - hope you have found a good way to fix it - at a reasonable cost. Let us know how it turns out.

http://www.auto  ondo-body-filler